Jazz Club

HaveYou Bought Any New Guitars During Lockdown?

I’ve bought a few new guitars for my son and I to play with during lockdown.

These two arrived yesterday.

14899990_800.jpg

14989360_800.jpg

To hot yesterday to play them but will put them through there paces later this morning.

Edited by Jazz Club
  • Like 1

I’m not normally one for gold hardware, but that V looks the biz. However, that HB SG (too many initials!) is the one I’d go for, very nice.

As to the question posed in the title of the OP, no, nothing new here, but it’s been a close run thing 😬!

Edited by ezbass

The new price on those HB SGs is shocklingly low if they play as goodas they look! I didn't think anything could outdo the Vintage SG type for value, but....  In a year or two once I have their DC and SC LP Junior types, I'd like to see them do an SG Junior!

Agree with exbass - I'm not a V guy, but that one looks very nicely done indeed. Some very classic V features, yet doing its own thing with the form too.

5 hours ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

The new price on those HB SGs is shocklingly low if they play as goodas they look! I didn't think anything could outdo the Vintage SG type for value, but....  In a year or two once I have their DC and SC LP Junior types, I'd like to see them do an SG Junior!

Agree with exbass - I'm not a V guy, but that one looks very nicely done indeed. Some very classic V features, yet doing its own thing with the form too.

Even if the tone of the HB wasn't up to par (which it might well be, of course), the Wilkinson pickups that Vintage use are cheap enough that you could pop a new set in and make it sound...well, like a Vintage SG, I suppose!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

Yes, that's clever.... I'd love to see the insdie of it if ever you open it up. Specifically, I'm wodnering whether it could retrofit on another guitar designed to take that kind of two-post bridge....

Should I ever get brave enough or my luthier takes it off, I will post 

• Like 1

On 05/07/2020 at 20:13, EdwardMarlowe said:

Look nice - what are they? SEcond looks like it might be a Harley Benton, if I'm reading the headstock correctly? Got my eye on a couple of their Juniors currently...

Yes they are both Harley Benton guitars.

I’ve bought a few HB guitars during lockdown after a friend recommended them to me and after watching hours of YouTube videos on various models.

The build quality and finish on everyone I’ve bought is outstanding and they all sound great and play really well.

A couple just needed a few small adjustments and change of strings but most are great straight out the box and amazing value for money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

@Jazz Club have you been keeping Thomann in business all on your own? Some cool purchases there.

I particularly like this one

14371993_800.jpg

Yeah that happens to be my favourite of the three.

The Coil - Tapping Humbucker push pull facility is exceptional..
Saying that All three give my mates very expensive original Gibson’s a fookin good run for the money.

I also love the extra cutaway design so people like me with short stubby fingers can get right down and bend strings without having to go to hospital after 😂
Probably the best £169 I’ve spent this year.

I bought it a lovely case because it deserved it.😎

I still might buy a white vintage version to complete the set.

Edited by Jazz Club
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

They all look nice. Interesting variation on the LP shape - I detect a touch of Telecaster on the neck end of the body, I think. What's under the rear plate on the red fixed-bridge S type?

Electronics route to switch and knobs on the back.

Thats why I showed it was a Hardtail red Strat .
It holds its own against some of my early 70s versions.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jazz Club said:

Electronics route to switch and knobs on the back.

Thats why I showed it was a Hardtail red Strat .
It holds its own against some of my early 70s versions.

Ah, I'd assumed they were all under the plate as per standard. presumably, though, that lets you access the pots without having to take the whole plate off, which couldc be handy.