EdwardMarlowe

Guitar Innovationas and new ideas that we actually like!

5 hours ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Putting my bass players' hat back on...are we just more aware of our EQ, and the way it affects the way our tone sits in the mix? I wonder if the fact that we have to achieve "presence" in the mix, in the face of more limited audibility, is the reason that bass amps are much more likely to have a graphic EQ built in than guitar amps are! I've certainly played with a few guitarists who didn't realise that cranking their amp's bass control might have sounded great in their bedroom, but just coated a band mix in sonic wool.

And in the interests of balance, there are still bass players who think that active pickups and onboard EQ are the devil's work, and will only consider passive basses. (Almost me: I only own one active bass to ten passives!)

I hadn't heard of those before, but I'm very intrigued! Speaking on direct substitutions, I did stumble across the "warm stone" developed by AMT: https://amtelectronics.com/new/amt-12ax7ws/

Not sure how they compare to "the real thing," but whilst I've been quite lucky with valve amps so far, I would be happy to consider a more reliable alternative if it sounded as good!

I think you could be right to some extent re bass players.... Bass is my second insturment, though I'm one of the hardcore bass luddites - if it's ain't a P-bass, meh. I mean, as I get older I'm mellowing - I'd love a P-bass with a body the shape of a Gibson RD Artist. I would prefer a maple board over a rosewood one, because, as Dee Dee RAmone once put it, "they bounce better." :D

That 'wram stone' looksl ike a really interesting concept. Clever ona number of levels - if it takes off, it could sell to a lot of people who already have tube amps they love. More to the point, I could totally see it being hugely popular with guitar techs on major tours, where the reliability of solid state  would be very welcome indeed. That would be interewsting to try.

Just watched a video of a Godin LPalike fitted with a pair of those Seymour Duncan P-Rail pickups that give a p90, HB and sc sound. Not head them back to back with the real thing, but the range of tones on the Godin were impressive. I'm not sure I'd finda use for as many different options as they give, but that said I also think it could be a very cool pickup to drop into a single pick-up guitar to give that range of tones. Say, for example, that Blink 182 fella's Strat sig model. While it wouldn't exactly mimic an LP junior or an Esquier, it would ceetainly g osome of the way in temrs of braodening the sound beyond the limitations of the SD Invader that comes as a norm there.