technicallyrock

Why is it that PMT cost way more than online websites such as Thomann, GAK etc?

So, I'm a lefty guitarist looking to by a PRS SE Custom 24. PMT charge £825 whereas Thomman, which is a perfectly legit, well known guitar dealer, charge £539, almost £300 cheaper? My guess is that PMT charge more because they get their stock from a warehouse whereas online sites such as GAK and Thomman order straight from the manufacturer? I'm not too sure on this so I was wondering if anyone knew the reason?

Thanks in advance!

There are all sorts of reasons behind why a retailer will choose a larger margin. 

Some of them under their control, some of them not, some of them are about sales tactics and others are about simply charging what they feel they can get away with.  There are a couple of vintage and rare shops around the country who will charge significantly more for an otherwise unremarkable (and not vintage or rare) instrument because people will accept higher margins in return for outstanding customer service.  Sometimes shops will set their asking prices higher and allow themselves to be negotiated down...unless the customer is not that patient or discerning.  Then it's all pure profit.  And even if they are negotiated down, the agreed price may still be a few percent above retail price for other shops but often the negotiation process provides the shop an opportunity to explore the customers needs and background further giving them an opportunity to develop the relationship a bit more. 

Sometimes retailers (especially on Ebay or Reverb) will ask outrageous prices because people will then go on forums and give them free advertising by complaining how outrageous the prices are (Starbucks get names wrong on cups for the same reasons).

I’ve looked on PMT to compare prices a few times of late and have given up every time because there website is a pain in the arsenal to use .

I did notice they’re not very competitive on prices.

GAK in Brighton are great and fast  next day delivery .

Thomann also great service and fast free delivery when you spend £100 from Germany with UPS.

I would guess that part of it is that PMT are primarily brick and mortar stores where you can go in and haggle, whereas the internet 'works different'. I'd also expect thnigs to be a little more expensive in a bricks and mortar store because of increased overheads, though not £300 different.

Doubtless lefties are a little more expensive to make because of retooling, lower demand and such, but I do also feel we often get the shaft in pricing because we don't have the same range of options. Things have improved in many stores, but evne twety years ago it wasn't uncommon to walk into a guitar shop and them not have a single lefty in stock. I badly miss Holiday Music in Leytonstone....

On 09/07/2020 at 13:40, EdwardMarlowe said:

I would guess that part of it is that PMT are primarily brick and mortar stores where you can go in and haggle, whereas the internet 'works different'. I'd also expect thnigs to be a little more expensive in a bricks and mortar store because of increased overheads, though not £300 different.

Doubtless lefties are a little more expensive to make because of retooling, lower demand and such, but I do also feel we often get the shaft in pricing because we don't have the same range of options. Things have improved in many stores, but evne twety years ago it wasn't uncommon to walk into a guitar shop and them not have a single lefty in stock. I badly miss Holiday Music in Leytonstone....

PMT are quite prolific on YouTube with two guys that are interesting to watch.

So I don’t think you can blame pricing on bricks and mortar Shops.

If you are a big chain of shops like PMT are.

The internet shopping part of there business should be massive by now.

Especially now in these coronavirus times.

Edited by Jazz Club
  • Like 1