Andyjr1515

Yew-topped SG-style Guitar Build * Finished Pics!

On 16/05/2020 at 10:12, Kiwi said:

Along with crab apple and olive, yew is very tricky to dry because of its convoluted grain.  That's quite some achievement. 

It was very well seasoned but, even so, I'm glad it was just for the top - those 'knots' were big and on the edge of being separate items :)

That said, the main challenge with working Yew is that is it quite poisonous!

• Like 1

In the words of Avid Merrion, "a little bit of sex we came out."

Utterly stunning. I have a real soft spot for the SG despite never having owned one. I'm definitely asolid-colour guy these days, but that it jusat the most unique and interesting flame top I've ever seen. Took me a second at first to realise it was the wood and not a really clever graphic of actual flames. The piece de resistance is the through-neck. Oddle enough, I was only recently toying with a daydream of a thru-neck SG Junior style! This is stunning stuff. Love an SG.... weirdly, I think the thing I love most is the selector switch being down among the other controls - feels so much more natural than the LP one, all up out of the way...

That my friends is a beautiful guitar. Oddly enough I came here today looking for recommendations for a budget sg for a modding project.

It won't be on the epic scale of that beauty but I'm even more set on the idea now.

I've just been through the build on basschat and I'm even more impressed now. That was a very involved build. 

Some real skills on show there. Puts my tinkering with partscaster's to shame. Maybe one day I'll tackle something like that.

Just have to build the workshop to do the work in first. Oh and I have to clear/level the ground for the workshop before that. Maybe one day