Schwiftaaay

Schaller Hannes Piezo Wiring

Hey everyone,

Hope you could be so kind to help me please.

So I'm interested in the Schaller Hannes Piezo, Schaller claim you don't need a preamp for it. So if I dont have a preamp, how would I wire it in? 

I'm ideally going to want a 3 way pickup switch for 2 pickups. I was debating about adding either a hidden switch or tear drop switch to active the piezo bridge, however I'm debating whether I want its volume control to be a blend. So 0 is pickups only and 10 being full piezo, if you get my drift? Any other ideas and I'd be open minded. 

The only thing is I dont want two Jack sockets, I want it all to go via one socket only. 

Thanks in advance

Hi, @Schwiftaaay and also welcome!

Hmmm...I might be wrong, but I pretty sure that, while they are right that there is a strong enough signal from the piezos to make it perfectly possible to take a jack output straight into an amp or DAW without a pre-amp, nevertheless mixing that signal with the output from magnetic pickups is quite another thing.

To do that, while it isn't actually a pre-amp as such, you do need something electronically similar to balance the impedance difference of the two types of output.  I fitted a Hannes Piezo bridge to this:

6O4in5Jl.jpg

But I installed a Schaller Flagship blend unit in it to enable the two outputs to be balanced.  There are a number of onboard blender/mixer units on the market but I think something like this is probably essential if you want both signals to be routed through a single jack. 

• Like 2

Yeah definitely get a buffer preamp.   Even if the signal is loud enough the impedance issues may make it sound trebley.  The buffer pre's aren't expensive on Ebay and a cheap one should do the job.