ArtisanLuthiers

Quality Guitars Sized for Women

A few luthier/techs in Atlanta, including myself, are entertaining the idea of making a line of quality guitars for women.  We want to use top brand components with custom styling.

From what we've learned over years is that most women settle for an uncomfortable "man's guitar" or buy something like a Squier and then have to fully upgrade hardware and electronics. 

We would appreciate feedback and suggestions on this concept. Thanks!

Daisy Rock did the same thing maybe ten years ago.  Andertons,  a music store here in the UK, invested in the company with the intention to sell the instruments through their store and distribute them. 

Major backlash resulted from women guitarists who felt patronised. It seemed like a good idea but...

Skip to 7:22 for the story. 

• Like 1

This is probably the wrong place to carry out market research...

If you're dead serious about developing a product for a specific demographic then that's the area of opinions, wants and needs you should focus on. 

You might aswell ask us about feminine hygiene products, because our opinion is just as useless... 

If I was yourself, I would develop several prototypes and get them in the hands of your target audience. Failing that, why not just make great guitars for everyone?? 

@Dad3353 - Your 12 string retro is an absolute stunner!! I really LOVE those Daisy Rock guitars especially the "Venus"!! And my little one is the proud owner of the "Debutante"!! 

On 10/05/2020 at 18:40, ArtisanLuthiers said:

A few luthier/techs in Atlanta, including myself, are entertaining the idea of making a line of quality guitars for women.  We want to use top brand components with custom styling.

From what we've learned over years is that most women settle for an uncomfortable "man's guitar" or buy something like a Squier and then have to fully upgrade hardware and electronics. 

I'm clearly on a bit of a different page here and therefore am not entirely sure I understand the question.

Why would the hardware and electronics need to be different?

I have worked over the past couple of years on designing guitars that appeal to older players, female players and young players, but it's absolutely nothing to do with hardware and electronics.  It's about the weight, the actual or effective scale length (especially for basses), the neck profile, these sorts of things.  It is these physical characteristics that make the difference to being able to physically play the instrument at all or, at best, for prolonged periods.  A 10lb Les Paul is a problem to many women, most youngsters and a lot of old guys...

I am intrigued.  Where are your own thought processes coming from?

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I'm clearly on a bit of a different page here and therefore am not entirely sure I understand the question.

Why would the hardware and electronics need to be different?

Ah - OK.  Just re-read with brain in gear. 

So is what you are saying that they buy something lighter and smaller from someone like Squier (though that isn't a given) and then upgrade the hardware, etc, to bring it up closer to a 'big name' spec (though that also isn't a given ;) )?

On 11/05/2020 at 02:41, Dad3353 said:

I have a Daisy Rock Retro 12-string, and a fine guitar it is, too. Just sayin'. B|

The earliest Daisy Rock models were tiny heart and flower shaped bodies with small necks - really, they were aimed at <10 year old girls. The later models, such as yours, definitely were a much better idea. I rather like the Susanna Hoff / Bangles model, myself.

Bonnie Raitt's signature Stratocaster was made with a slightly narrower nut and smaller neck to better accomodate smaller (on average) female hands. I'd say that and more chambering (for weight relief) is where it's at for the ladies. Sbutle differences, and, I would say, sell them "for the guitarist who prefers a smaller neck / lighter bosy" rather than "here's one for the ladies -  it's easier to play, so you can sound just like the boys!"

• Like 1

Could you expand on what about your idea is for women?

If you're designing smaller instruments, I expect there are plenty of people who aren't women who would want that. If you're designing lighter instruments, I expect there are plenty of people who aren't women who would want that.

• Like 1

Could be lessons to be learned from Gibson - they introduced a range a few years ago aimed cmored at female players - if memory serves it was mainly LP styles, and they were known as "the Vixen" and "tghe Goddess" - model name,s I think.  Subtlty would definitely help here.

On 10/05/2020 at 18:40, ArtisanLuthiers said:

Look on YouTube at women guitar players.

The list is full of great female players from very young teenage middle age and older.

They blow most males like me Away with how fast they move there fingers up and down a neck.

They don’t need specially designed specific for female use built guitars.
If they are good just like men They get shed loads of offers from companies.

Female specific guitars won’t be a good business plan.

Also you could get done for being sexist in this new age we live in 😂

Edited by Jazz Club

On 11/05/2020 at 00:56, Kiwi said:

Daisy Rock did the same thing maybe ten years ago.  Andertons,  a music store here in the UK, invested in the company with the intention to sell the instruments through their store and distribute them. 

Major backlash resulted from women guitarists who felt patronised. It seemed like a good idea but...

Skip to 7:22 for the story. 

The best video Lee has made was with his Dad telling the history story of how Anderson’s started.

Everything other than that is sales oriented.

On 26/06/2020 at 14:42, Jazz Club said:

The best video Lee has made was with his Dad telling the history story of how Anderson’s started.

Everything other than that is sales oriented.

He's obviously donig it for the brand profile / advertising - that's a norm these days. Business gotta keep the money coming in. I don't mind it, though, tbh - I find him an easy watch / listen - informative, without the hard sell, and I tend to feel he's fair and honest in thse things - while sensaibly leaving it up to the viewer to decide between pricebands - e.g. Epi v Gibson. I like hoe he's open about his preferences for high end stuff, without being snobbish or dismissive of the  affordable options.

2 hours ago, Jazz Club said:

I watched the Danish Pete interview last week for the first time.

Didnt know anything about Petes history before watching it..

Quite interesting.

I like that one too. Danish Pete seems a great guy and a quality player into the bargain. His playing is so effortless and tasteful.

Just watched a vid with Paul Reed Smith and Tim Pierce where Tim reveals his master built PRS.  During the conversation, Paul mentions that the semi hollow guitars have become quite popular with female guitarists.  I know Paul gets a bit of a bashing sometimes for being brash and untactful but in terms of recognising the needs of both genders, he's did a pretty good job of hinting but not patronising...too much. lol  Skip to 6:04.

• Like 1

I wonder (not got the tiem to watch thed video just yet, so he may address this) whether part of it is a genfered psychology thing.... Women, by and large, don't seem to obsess over some of thed crap men do - "OH, I nee a dozen guitars to have a palette of sounds" and that rot. Maybe htel adies gravitate to wards that model because it has a wide array of sounds and they just want to have a nice guitar and play it?