BaconLadOnline

Plectrum gauge??

Question

7 answers to this question

Some players choose plectrum gauge to compliment their playing technique e.g. thinner, blunter plec if they strum hard.  Or a harder, pointier plec if they want to play fast with a lot of control.   Everything else kind of fits somewhere between those two extremes. Most common gauge is about 0.6mm but I tend to play with 0.5mm because I'm still a little heavy handed and weak fingered on my right hand.  Heavier plecs tend to move around in my fingers too much.

I would suggest finding something that works for you and sticking with it.  Being used to a plec, whatever it is, is important for developing your touch.  

• Thanks 1

I initially used what pick felt right as a beginner, but eventually moved to what gave me the best tone, which meant thicker for my purposes (at one point I played with a 2mm Tortex). I still mess around with various picks, but always seem to come back to a Dunlop Jazz 3 (as used by Eric Johnson and Joe Bonamassa). It’s a personal choice at the end of the day, as is how you hold it; Robben Ford uses a conventional shaped pick but uses it upside down (as does Dave Kilminster IIRC). Invest in a pack of various gauges and see which one you like to the tone & feel of best, but be prepared to chop and change as you develop as a player or as the song or guitar dictates. Then there’s fingerstyle, hybrid style, thumbpicks, fingerpicks, metal, plastic, GAH!

Edited by ezbass
  • Thanks 1

Yes, definitely, try them all - good place to start is with a mixed gauge pack of Dunlop Tortex - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Dunlop-Tortex-Standard-Guitar-Picks-Any-Combination/270999292863?epid=0&hash=item3f18d10bbf:g:TNUAAOxyBXNSUcTI 

I like Tortex becasue they hold their shape, thouygh if you just want to strum hard, the greater flexibility (but lack of 'snap back to shape') of nylon might suit. 

I started out with .46s, figuring them would help me avoid breaking strings, and they strummed easy. As time went on and I learned how to better control how hard I hit the strings, I moved up to heavier picks - 1mm, then 1.14mm.

Another option you might like to try are the Dava Control picks https://www.davapick.com/ Tend to be al ittle bit more expensive which is worth bearing in mind if you're in the habit of losing them all the time, but... The design of these allows you to vari the effective stiffness of the pick by varying how you hold it, giving the effect of playing with a variable pick thickness. Some models have Delrin tips - the kind of plastic that many picks like Tortex are made from. 

I'd say invest a tenner in a range of these  - couple of Davas, a few cheap nylon Jim Dunlops, a few Trotex, try  'em all, and see what wiggles your wire. The chances are that you'll find your tastes vary a bit as you ecome more confident on the instrument.

plectrums are a very personal thing, i started at about .88mm for ages (tortex black ones) my guitar tutor suggested going thinner and io settled on mm tortex for ages (orange ones) and then a random slightly smaller fender medium one that is my currnet favourite.

buying a random selection from and then trying them all is a good way to start as @EdwardMarlowe has suggested, in the past i would have suggested just going into your local guitar shop and see what they have, i have also found new and interesting ones in the random dish of spare/lost plectrums in our rehearsal room.

I love to mod my plectrums to tailor them to my playing style, some are sharpened to a point, some have a few small holes drilled through to aid grip.

the main thing i would suggest is to keep an open mind, try as many as you can and find the one that suits you best (then buy a multipack of your favourite)

buying plectrums is one of my vices, even though i have clear favourites i still buy more.

Matt

Edit- just looked at that pic and realised i could probably spare some, drop me a pm with your address and what plectrums you are currently using and i'll send you half a dozen or so different ones in the post.

P1040633.JPG

Edited by Matt P
more in focus picture, extra words
  • Like 1