BaconLadOnline

Plectrum gauge??

Question

Hello, 

I didn't realise that plectrums came in different gauges. 

Are gauges just a preference or do they actually serve a purpose, and do you require multiple plectrums for different playing styles?

Cheers!! 

2 answers to this question

Some players choose plectrum gauge to compliment their playing technique e.g. thinner, blunter plec if they strum hard.  Or a harder, pointier plec if they want to play fast with a lot of control.   Everything else kind of fits somewhere between those two extremes. Most common gauge is about 0.6mm but I tend to play with 0.5mm because I'm still a little heavy handed and weak fingered on my right hand.  Heavier plecs tend to move around in my fingers too much.

I would suggest finding something that works for you and sticking with it.  Being used to a plec, whatever it is, is important for developing your touch.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I initially used what pick felt right as a beginner, but eventually moved to what gave me the best tone, which meant thicker for my purposes (at one point I played with a 2mm Tortex). I still mess around with various picks, but always seem to come back to a Dunlop Jazz 3 (as used by Eric Johnson and Joe Bonamassa). It’s a personal choice at the end of the day, as is how you hold it; Robben Ford uses a conventional shaped pick but uses it upside down (as does Dave Kilminster IIRC). Invest in a pack of various gauges and see which one you like to the tone & feel of best, but be prepared to chop and change as you develop as a player or as the song or guitar dictates. Then there’s fingerstyle, hybrid style, thumbpicks, fingerpicks, metal, plastic, GAH!

Edited by ezbass
  • Thanks 1