Beardy_Jon

Suggestions for books to read between lessons

Hi, any suggestions for good educational guitar books that are still useful and entertaining to read between lessons when you don’t have your guitar with you ie like during a commute?

Obviously this rules out any book which gives a detailed step by step guide on fingering, chords, etc. but I’m looking for more of a general overview/ tips and tricks / motivational / things to think about before your next lesson type book which is still a good useful read without having a guitar in front of you to practice on. 

Basically something that will help me become a better guitar player mentally without having the guitar in front of me to practice on. 

Does any such book exist? Not interested in biographies. smile.gif

Shame about the biographies stipulation, as Andy Summers’ One Train Later is a great read and insight into how he, as fundamentally a jazz player from the beginning, was in so many bands of others genres but still had his own, totally relevant  voice in those settings. 
If the type of book you’re looking for exists, I’ve never come across one. I imagine any generic ‘self help’ book would suffice, in that they often deal with self belief, focus, etc. Hopefully, others on the forum may be able to offer more guidance/suggestions.

If you're interested in pushing your boundaries a bit (or even quite a lot, in time...), I'd recommend Mark_Levine's 'The Jazz Theory Book ...

Amazon : The Jazz Theory Book ...

There's a lot to read without an instrument, and the notions can be applied to most fields; it's not reserved just for 'jazzers'..! Worth a glance..?

A little more 'out there', but a fascinating concept, is Conrad Cork's 'The New Guide To Harmony With Lego Bricks', available from Boosey & Hawkes ...

Boosey : The New Guide To Harmony With Lego Bricks ...

These are definitely not biographies..! Hope this helps. B|