Skinnyman

Essential Tremor and Playing with a Pick

Along with his easy charm and matinee-idol looks*, the other thing I inherited from my dad was his essential tremor. 

This looks a bit like early-stage Parkinson’s but it’s not constant and only triggers when the hand is in certain positions (drinking the final drops of a cup of tea is a particularly messy one for me - watching my dad trying to carve a Sunday joint was a frightening experience for us all). 

Mine has been quite mild for most of my life but it’s effectively prevented me from playing with a pick. 

The frustrating thing is that most of the time I’m tremor-free and can play with a pick perfectly well - but randomly and without warning, my hand will suddenly start shaking and it’s then anyone’s guess as to what string I’m going to play and how many times. 

I don’t have an issue if I play acoustic finger-style or if I play the guitar like a bass - but neither method really lends itself to playing and soloing with any great speed or fluency.

I’ve studied people like Mike Oldfield and Mark Knopfler to see if I can mimic their finger style but I can’t make either approach feel natural or intuitive.

Caffeine makes it worse (triggered more easily) but nothing seems to help calm it down.

Is anyone else having similar issues and, if so, how are you getting round it?

*This is a lie. Both my father and myself have been used by mothers to show toddlers what happens if you don’t eat your vegetables.

25 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

......how are you getting round it?...

Play within your own personal and unique boundaries; no-one plays the way you do. We each have our limitations and handicaps, which evolve over time, and, whilst it's a Good Thing to push the envelope and strive for more, or different, not all these efforts are rewarded with success. Embrace your capacities, and put your best efforts into what works for you, instead of fighting the demons. In most contexts, no-one would notice any 'issues', anyway, so just play on, whatever... B|
Hope this helps.
Disclaimer: I drop sticks (I'm a drummer...), so I have a pocket hooked onto the floor drum with my spares. When one goes, I just reach for another. Between songs, if there's time, I try to retrieve 'em all. Sometimes there isn't. :$

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't suffer with this condition or anything like it, so I can offer no first hand advice I'm afraid. However, I'm thinking a way forward might be to try using a thumb pick, but hold it like it's a normal pick until the tremors kick in and then use it whatever way will allow you continue playing until they subside or develop a style of your own with said device, part Oldfield/Knopfler, part you.

• Like 1