Graham Mitchell

controls on my guitar

There's an up-side and a down-side, of course. Leave 'em turned up and it's possible (or even likely depending on one's age...) that the amp will produce an overpowering 'Screech..!' when the guitar is plugged in. On the other hand, turning it all down implies that there's a pretty good chance (depending on one's age...) that there'll be silence for a while at the beginning of the session, with much testing of leads, looking baffled, scratching of heads etc before the penny drops. It's a no-win conundrum that only you can solve. Personally, I turn it all down, despite the head-scratching risk (yes, I'm old, too...).
Hope this helps. B|

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Graham Mitchell said:

Cheers guys.I suspected as much.You see these guys on Andertons for example and they always turn every down again.

They’re avoiding extraneous noise for the video, plus they can look cool doing a side of the hand roll off. 

Just as a side thought - if you leave everything on "10" all the time and never touch the volume or tone controls, will the oxidation on the tracks of the pots build up over time (a bit like rust on brake discs) and so would it not be advisable to do at least one full sweep of each pot each time you play the guitar?

Edited by darkandrew

There won't be much oxydation on the carbon tracks, generally, and turning 'em down, then up will, in time wear 'em out. Still, in the expected life of, not only the guitar, but also the guitarist, I doubt that this would be the worst issues encountered. If it's a worry, and the controls are always to be at 'max', swap 'em out for direct connections and eliminate the pots altogether, maybe..? Some players do this, with simply a 'kill switch' to turn it off between songs. B|
(... and it's 'brake' pads.). ;)

In the 60s and 70s it used to be Hero to Zero if you didn’t turn everything down before plugging and unplugging jacks from guitars.

Todays amps are designed to cope much better.
I still turn everything right down from force of habit.

Edited by Jazz Club