Wuggis

Hi all. Older begginer hoping to pick your brains!

Hi everyone. I'm an older begginer well 48 so older than most. 

I've had a love affair with guitar music most of my life. And have had a couple of half hearted attempts at learning over the years. I could struggle through things like nirvana etc in my early twenties. But eventually gave up due to lack of free time and not really progressing very much.

Fast forwards twenty odd years and here I am trying again.

Something I have to say is how far the gear has moved on in that time! At least in cost to performance value. And this new fangled internet thingy make so many resources available!

As a part Scottish Yorkshireman the relatively low investment needed to get started these days warmed my heart lol!

If good gear and teaching resources had been this available years ago it might have been a different story.

I'm also in to building/ customising so hopefully there will be others here that share that interest. Although as you can see from my cover photo that's more evh make it your own than custom shop. At least up to now.

image.gif.18ea492869152901f4e8b471363177bd.gif

Build threads are always a source of interest, not matter what level of expertise; I look forward to yours. Should you need any advice, there are a number of experienced builders here who are always happy to help.

With regard to modern gear, you are not wrong. My first decent level guitar (although still pretty low in the scheme of things, a bolt on neck Aria LP) cost me £125 in ‘76, the equivalent money today will get you really good quality, well respected guitar. To paraphrase an old cliche, “New players today, they don’t they’re born.” 😂 It’s great the quality and choice is so good now, I’m just a jealous, old curmudgeon 😉.

The first guitar I bought in 1989 was a postbox red marlin. Not sure what model it was as it doesn't seem to match any of the models from that time. 

It wasn't a sidewinder as it had a pointy headstock Jackson /charvel style and no pickguard.

And I don't think it was a loner as it had a fender style trem and the neck was unpainted maple.

I always thought it was called a marlin "nasty" as that was what it said on the fluorescent paper star pushed through the strings as a price tag.

But now I think about it that was probably the guitar shops little joke. Basically telling anyone who knew anything that it wasn't good.

If it turns out it was actually rare important model please keep that to yourselves! As I seem to remember giving it away covered in dust a few years later. I doubt it though

Good afternoon, Wuggis, and ...

Sq1J2dj.gif

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share. rWNVV2D.gif

As mentioned above, you're spoilt for choice these days. Good luck with the 'fettling'; be comforted to know that it's the first forty years that are the hardest, after which things sometimes tend to get slightly better. :|

Hi Wuggis!

I suspect a few of us (certainly me, anyway) have had a similar journey - I had many false starts before I finally knuckled down to learning properly in my early fifties. 

You’re right about the availability and relatively low cost of gear these days - which, of course, is both a curse and a blessing as it’s all too easy to fall into the trap of buying, upgrading and customising rather than actually playing (guilty as charged on that one....).

But as hobbies go, this one costs me less than my motorsport addiction did and I stay dryer than when I played golf.....

I started learning casually about ten years ago but only started getting serious about it ten years ago - although still learning casually as time and family permit.  I have also dabbled with builds - it's a fun thing but honestly, where I am now I can pick up near identical spec, fully finished guitars for the same price as a kit of parts would cost in the UK.  So almost no point until I get more time to myself.

My secret to practicing hasn't really changed since I started with drums.  I still choose songs that I like and when I manage to nail the part close enough, I get a huge wave of satisfaction - a 'f*ck yeaaaah' moment.  I'm also left handed but play right handed so my picking hand can be inconsistent at the best of times.  Still can't change string to string very smoothly. 

On 05/05/2020 at 11:16, Skinnyman said:

Hi Wuggis!

I suspect a few of us (certainly me, anyway) have had a similar journey - I had many false starts before I finally knuckled down to learning properly in my early fifties. 

You’re right about the availability and relatively low cost of gear these days - which, of course, is both a curse and a blessing as it’s all too easy to fall into the trap of buying, upgrading and customising rather than actually playing (guilty as charged on that one....).

But as hobbies go, this one costs me less than my motorsport addiction did and I stay dryer than when I played golf.....

Tbh I might like the messing about /customizing bit more than the actual playing to be honest.

I'm an engineer by trade so it kind of fits with skills I already have. And I grew up around a car body shop so with a little refreshing hopefully my spray painting should become passable.

I've had a little more practice time available this year with the lockdown keeping me off the bankside.

So instead of being stressed that the carp eluded me again. I can get stressed at at chord changes and strumming patterns.

It's all just for fun as I know I'll never play like gilmour /slash/Gary Moore. But at least I'm making progress(slowly!)

On 06/05/2020 at 02:46, Kiwi said:

I'm also left handed but play right handed so my picking hand can be inconsistent at the best of times.  Still can't change string to string very smoothly. 

Come back to the dark side!  You are denying your true 'mojo'😜😎...  seriously,  swapping to righty might have been ok for bass, but your losing out for delicate,accurate, expressive guitar work.. And, it would bend heads at a gig/jam night if you got a lefty guitar and righty bass out together!

1 hour ago, OldG said:

Come back to the dark side!  You are denying your true 'mojo'😜😎...  seriously,  swapping to righty might have been ok for bass, but your losing out for delicate,accurate, expressive guitar work.. And, it would bend heads at a gig/jam night if you got a lefty guitar and righty bass out together!

Actually learning drums right handed was what screwed me up.  Besides which most of the guitars I own and like playing are only available right handed.. with the exception of PRS maybe. 

I play drums left handed to make things even more complicated.   Can't get my right hand to lead around the toms but I can do everything else ambidextrously. 

5 hours ago, Kiwi said:

Actually learning drums right handed was what screwed me up...

Wot 'e sed ^^. I'm 'righty', but play drums 'lefty'. I've a 'totally lefty' brother who plays guitar, very well indeed, 'righty'. There are no rules, really. Try both, and do whatever gives most satisfaction. Hendrix, apparently, was no slouch with a 'righty' guitar, played 'righty'.