Conmac

Complete Beginner

Hi all,

My son and I are complete beginners and are looking to learn guitar.  I've read a lot online about beginners options whether to start with electric or acoustic?  Also if acoustic is the way to go and on a budget I've came across these - Fender cd60s,   Epiphone dr-100,   or Yamaha f310.   Hoping that theres something that offers easy playability for a beginner if it exists?

:crigon_04:

Electric will always be easier on your fingers initially, but learning on an acoustic was always a rite of passage and made you appreciate the difference when getting an electric. There’s also the need for an amp with electric (at least eventually). I’ve not played any of the guitars you mention, but most ‘name’ guitars are good these days and I own an Epiphone acoustic myself (an EJ200). However, I’ve always said that Yamaha don’t make a bad instrument of any kind or at any price point, so that would be my first choice without actually trying them

Thanks for your reply and information.   I've read that a lower action and shape of the fretboard can make for an easier experience?  Think this is why those models were recommended. 

40 minutes ago, Conmac said:

Thanks for your reply and information.   I've read that a lower action and shape of the fretboard can make for an easier experience?  Think this is why those models were recommended. 

All true, as can a lighter string gauge (although you can sacrifice tone if you go too light). It's always best to try before you buy and it's nice to build up a relationship with your local guitar shop, but in the current climate that's not going to be easy, unfortunately. 

Yeah I just recovered from the virus and was released from hospital a couple of weeks ago. A really nasty and serious illness. This is one of the reasons why I've decided to learn guitar although it was something that I'd hoped to do at some stage coupled with being off work for some time yet.  I'd seen the mahogany Fender cd60s online for £135 which seems a decent figure?

Good evening, Conmac, and ...

Sq1J2dj.gif

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share. rWNVV2D.gif

Most guitars from the leading makers in the 'starter' price range are decent guitars (I certainly wish that they had been available when I started out with a real cheese-grater of a guitar..!). The Fender you mention is fine.
There's quite a bit less to bother about with an acoustic for a beginner. First thing is learning how to tune it (and listen to when it needs tuning again...). A good tip for anyone starting out is to find a local tutor, if at all possible. It's so uch worth it to get good advice from the 'off', and makes progress that much more certain. It doesn't have to be expensive, but it really does help.
Good luck with the project to the pair of you. 

• Like 1

Hi.

I would suggest starting with an electric guitar, acoustic still a great passage, but on an electric you can play a variety of sounds, including acoustic sounds.

It will also be a little easier on you fingers.

Unfortunatly I can't reply to your question about the acoustic guitar to start with.

Andrea

On 03/05/2020 at 16:44, Dad3353 said:

Good evening, Conmac, and ...

Sq1J2dj.gif

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share. rWNVV2D.gif

Most guitars from the leading makers in the 'starter' price range are decent guitars (I certainly wish that they had been available when I started out with a real cheese-grater of a guitar..!). The Fender you mention is fine.
There's quite a bit less to bother about with an acoustic for a beginner. First thing is learning how to tune it (and listen to when it needs tuning again...). A good tip for anyone starting out is to find a local tutor, if at all possible. It's so uch worth it to get good advice from the 'off', and makes progress that much more certain. It doesn't have to be expensive, but it really does help.
Good luck with the project to the pair of you. 

As a beginner myself, I'd agree wholeheartedly with Dad, learning good technique at the beginning will eliminate many problems, especially sore fingers and strain on the fingers and hand.😄 I don't know if I'm allowed to name specific stores , but I  bought an Eastman Electro acoustic  from Richards Guitars in Stratford upon Avon, . It was set up to my requirements and shipped to Ireland. They also sell lovely entry level EastmaN PCH electro acoustic. I played one of those when I visited the store last November, lovely sound and feel to it.

Just an amateurs opinion, but it might be worth your while visiting the site, and talking with the guys there..

Hope this is helpful 

Yours sincerely.

Mike😃

Mike

• Like 1