BaconLadOnline

Guitars for children

Hello, 

My children, aged 4 and 7, have started to show an interest in guitars after watching myself gradually improve over the last couple of weeks. 

Does anyone have experience with children and guitars?? 

I don't know whether to buy them something cheap, just to get them used to holding and strumming?? Or to get them something respectable that they'll be able to use for a good few years?? 

Sharing and taking it in turns to hold mine is not an option as they're both desperate to get it back after their "turn" has finished... 

Cheers!! 

I'd recommend getting two guitars, a 1/2-size for the tot and a 3/4 for the elder. That way, no fighting. Don't buy toys, the Yamaha range is a Good Recommendation. A guitar emporium will either have them in stock or can order them, and they're not that expensive (around £50 or so, I think..?). It's a Good Plan to get the kids interested, and, even if they don't pursue as ados, they'll have a head-start if/when they decide to take it further. rSMIKEH.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another option is the yamaha guitarlele - I recently aquired one for my son to try. Its a bit bigger than a Uke but is strung like a guitar fretted at the 5th? fret.

Cost is a reasonable £70-ish :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-GL1-Guitalele-Ukulele-sized-Strings/dp/B000RVYMWE

I'd also keep an eye on Gumtree as often 3/4 classicals come up for £15-20 each.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ahhhhhhhh, 

After having a good mooch online, my daughter came across the brand "Daisy Rock"... If you're not familiar with this brand, they're guitars marketed for girls. My daughter (4 years old) is now adamant that she wants one of these instead of the 1/2 size Yamaha I was hoping for... 

I really don't want to drop £200+ on a pink guitar for an infant and then have to purchase an amp aswell...  I've had a look at a small pink strat (£70ish) made by Eastcoast but I'm not sure I trust this brand?? Has anyone had experience with this company?? 

My son (7), has his heart set on an absolutely gorgeous red tele (£180ish) made by squire. I trust squire to make something decent. But it's £100 more than i wanted to pay... And he'll need an amp!! 

I want them to be excited to play, learn and be proud of what they are holding but the cost is rapidly increasing!! 

Am I crazy if I go along with this?? 

Ha..! I am the proud possessor of a Daisy Rock Retro 12-string...

noJRhn4.jpg

...and a fine guitar it is, too..! Bought second-hand from a bloke in Holland, for a very modest price, and a staple of my humble 'collection' of instruments. Daisy Rock are maybe aimed, demographically, at girls, but they are real guitars, not toys. B|

Edited by Dad3353
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BaconLadOnline said:

Does this bloke in Holland have one of these...

I'm sorry, I forgot that you're rather new here. Never mind; have it be known that I'm old, and these things that happened to me are in a dim and distance Past. I really can't remember quite how long ago I bought the Daisy Rock, but I doubt that the Seller is still advertising, or if he is, he's very old now, too..! That 'Venus' guitar looks to be excellent; I'd be pleased too..! Keep looking; meanwhile...

Keep well, stay safe

Douglas

• Haha 1