jalapeno

So the Yamaha Pacifica

Both Karl and Nick in the UK prog metal band Threshold used to use a couple of Pacificas (with some upgrades) as spare guitars and alternative tuning guitars on tour alongside their Jacksons, Charvels, Ibanezes etc. Sounded pretty good with a good set up and some better quality pickups. Not so shabby. I had a Pacifica Tele as my first ever electric. It was not a bad little guitar.

• Like 1

I've owned a couple of Pacificas and also worked on plenty of them, quite often ones that are owned by school music departments, where they get some serious abuse. Even the basic models, with a good set up, work very well. 

One of my customers, a pro guitarist uses a top of the range Pacifica, I've looked after it for him, with set ups etc. for the last couple of years and it is a truly lovely thing. If he ever decides to sell, I would be first in the queue to buy.

When i used to work in 'the shop', the amount of guys who'd come in saying how they started on these and are looking to go onto "something better... like a squier" 😪

Personally some varieties of this model line are far superior than some of the shit that's pumped out now at double the price. I've got much love for Yamaha for what they do. 

• Like 3

had a 112L ages ago.. found it to be as described above, a quality guitar. Also worth mentioning I found the sound quite sterile and flat. It sounded ok, but never made me grin like a strat should  - preferred my Squier Affinity...

The 112 is an important guitar. Decent enough in its own right, but it's real contribution is how it forced everyone to up their game. Before it came out, most all entry-level guitars were ply. Then the 112 had that memorable "Just ask if it's available in a natural finish" ad, which stung Fender into actually revamping Squier over to solid bodies... 

I'd have considered one at a time if they'd done one in SSS.... my first electric, a Marlin, was HSS but it's not a configuration for which I care. not really afan of HBs at all, truth be told. 

On 26/08/2018 at 14:34, bottomofthebarrel said:

I've never played one, but anything Yamaha is probably a good enough. Flute, guitar, motorcycle or whatever.

With "whatever" including concert grand pianos and pretty good PA gear. Got to agree that it's hard to go wrong with a Yamaha whatever-it-is-you're-buying.

• Like 1

I had a 112L a few years ago. Quality of manufacture was way ahead of the competition when it first came out. Being picky, it felt a bit anonymous and unremarkable tonally, and could be fiddly to get a half-decent sound from (IMHO, E&OE, YMMV, etc.). That apart, a fine instrument and excellent value for money still. Pretty much the perfect learning instrument too: the number of these things in schools tells you everything you need to know.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

I've often wondered what a HB sized p90 would sound like in one of those....

Awesome, because P90s just are 😊

Of course Yamaha did put a P90 in some of the more upmarket versions, albeit in the neck position.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

After a few years without a guitar (I had an SG Bully that I never really played), I got myself a 2nd hand Pacifica 012 last year in the hopes of actually learning to play 6-string. It feels so nice and I found that I instantly got on with it.

Not sure what they are new (probably around £100 with a little amp?) but it's so comfortable and feels well put together.

• Like 1

Yamaha have always produced remarkably good stuff at the cheap end; a lot of people's first guitar, especially acoustics has been a Yammy that was cheap - but didn't necessarily sound it. If anything, I wonder if that's why they're not more widely-loved at the top end, because everyone thinks of them as "great cheap guitars" and so the spendier ones get overlooked? 

Rich Lasner designed the Pacifica 1412 and 1421 guitars which are boutique level quality (and sadly now, fetch boutique level prices).  It's not possible to generalise about Pacifica models, they span the full range of price points.  But yes, they're all well made.  I like Yamaha guitars a lot.

• Like 1