BaconLadOnline

No stand, no case, where do I put my guitar??

Before I had stands, I always leant mine against my amp, strings toward the amp (TBH I probably leant it against whatever was closest: bed, chair, shelf, wall. The fact that I was a grubby teenager at the time is my only excuse).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BaconLadOnline said:

...how should I be storing my guitar?? 

The first purchase, after the guitar itself, should be, in my view, a case for it. Not necessarily a flight-case, nor even a hard case; there are soft 'hard cases' now that protect very well. I shan't disgrace myself by recounting all the accidents I've either had myself, or witnessed in family, friends and even professional players whereby the instrument is put down, sometimes even for a couple of minutes, and the unthinkable happens. Store the guitar in its case. Take it out to play, leaving the case open (if at home, certainly, and elsewhere if at all possible...). Put it down in its case, and take it up again when ready. A stand is an option, and is very convenient, but a case beats it every time, in my experience, in preventing damage, with the added advantage in protecting the instrument when travelling (between rooms, to a friends house, to an 'open-mic' and more...). The only exception, for my own 'go-to' guitar and bass, is the wall-hangers behind my armchair, where they're out of danger but ready to hand, but they have cases, should I wish to go anywhere with them.

Just my tuppence-worth; hope this helps. B|

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BaconLadOnline said:

Guitar stands, is it a case of - one size fits all?? 

I've had a look on ebay and there's literally thousands to choose from!! 

What guitar are you wanting to put on a stand..? Electric (model...)..?) Acoustic (Nylon... Jumbo...)..? Bass (Model...)..? I've got about half a dozen stands, for different instruments. What budget do you have..? Where are you..? All these things would help to give better advice.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

What guitar are you wanting to put on a stand..? Electric (model...)..?) Acoustic (Nylon... Jumbo...)..? Bass (Model...)..? I've got about half a dozen stands, for different instruments. What budget do you have..? Where are you..? All these things would help to give better advice.

In my mind a guitar stand is just a tool so I'm literally looking for the cheapest tool to do the job. As long as it does the job correctly!!  The guitar is the Tanglewood I posted about yesterday. 

I'm from Middleton in Greater Manchester if anyone can recommend a good shop near by?? 

Cheers!!