BaconLadOnline

Repair or new purchase?? Advice please!!

Hi BL..  Welcome aboard!  That's a Lefty tanglewood Memphis 335 type... ideal for a beginner on the basis of:

it 'll be easier to fret due to lighter strings than an acoustic, which will make  barre chords much easier when you get to them.

It will make a decent enough sound without an amp, and offer a variety of tones and styles when plugged in.

made by a decent manufacturer and so should be setup reasonably well.

Oh , and it looks great!

If you are getting rid of it I would like first dibs,please! :D

Edited by OldG
forgot to say hi
  • Thanks 1

First up, :crigon_04:

Secondly, I had a Tanglewood electro acoustic some years ago, great guitar for the money. Therefore, I reckon stick with that until you feel the need to grow the collection, certainly given that you’re a lefty and sinister options are thinner on ground than regular.

Edited by ezbass
  • Thanks 1

Good evening, BLO...

With a guitar like that to learn on, you may consider yourself to be a very lucky person. Tanglewood have a fine reputation, and that model of guitar, in general (335 copy...) is extremely versatile. Be aware, if you're not already, that the instrument in the photo is the left-handed model. This may or may not suit you, depending on whether or not you are, yourself, left-handed.
You may like to consider, as a beginner, seeing if guitar lessons are available in your area. It's the best way of making rapid progress, and avoiding troublesome bad techniques which are difficult to erase afterwards.
For practise, it's better to do a few minutes each day than a couple of hours each week. Good luck with it all. rWNVV2D.gif

Edited by Dad3353
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, I really am very grateful to any and all response!! 

I'm really pleased now to learn that it's not too bad a guitar, a happy accident that I chose this one!! 

Regarding the left handed thing - I'm actually right handed but just naturally picked it up this way without any hesitation.  It was mentioned at the time so just to be sure I held it the opposite way but it felt completely wrong... 

I've since heard of left handed folk playing as if they were right handed but I think I'm in a severe minority being right handed but playing as if I were left... 

I don't know if it's noticeable from the picture but the input jack has fallen into the guitar and most of the screws are rusty I'll obviously want that addressing.  Unless there's anything else I need to consider?? Pick ups?? Tuning pegs etc?? 

Cheers!! 

I'm right-handed, but play drums 'lefty'. I have a younger brother, totally left-handed; he plays guitar (very well...) right-handed. Whatever comes naturally, plus practise, is the thing, that's all.
All sorts of tricks concerning jack sockets; one that might be useful is to use a knitting needle, slid into the jack hole to 'fish out' the socket. Once guided out, put a nut on it and tighten it up, with fingers at first, then with a spanner, socket or, at worst, a pair of pliers, end-on. Tip: slide the knitting needle through the retaining nut before anything else, so that it's already in place when the threaded part of the jack peeps out. The hardest part is often obtaining a suitable jack socket retaining nut in the first place, though; good luck with that. wx5vRxD.png

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1