Cjfk84

Replacing pick ups on a strat, no sound

I am replacing the pick ups that came with the squier over 20 years ago to Seymour Duncan California 50's. I bought new fender split shaft 250k no load pots and also 3 fender 250k solid shafts by mistake.

I replaced the pick ups and wired the guitar according to the diagram and no sound is heard through the amp when contact with the pick ups is made.

I followed instruction to take the hot wire from a pick up and touch it to the output Jack and you're getting around from the pick up, the same goes for the other 2, not really sure where I'm going wrong as this is my first time doing something like this.

I have included some pictures and hopefully someone can help me out thanks 

20200416_142940.jpg

20200416_142949.jpg

20200416_143007.jpg

20200416_143011.jpg

20200416_143018.jpg

20200416_143600.jpg

Good evening...

Difficult to do this at a distance, but I'll try. I think you'd be best off working backwards from the jack. Un-solder the wire going to the jack and touch it to the amp input jack. Do you get a sound from any of the pick-ups..? Go through each switch position, any sound at all, or nothing..? If there's at least some sound, check carefully how the guitar output jack should be wired, and connect again the wire you took off.

If there's still nothing, un-solder the wire from the volume pot, coming from the switch. Same test. If sound, check the pot and its connections. If nothing, disconnect one, then the other, tone pots. Sound..? Check the tone pot connections. No sound..? Check the switch connections.
In general, I'd not be at all happy with solder joints like that. I don't want to discourage, and you're doubtless doing your best, but it's so easy to overheat and melt the inner wire, causing a short-circuit, very difficult to see. I can't do much to help with that except recommend using a decent iron (a Weller station is a Good Purchase...), to carefully strip the wires cleanly, and 'tin' them straight away. Don't 'pigtail' too tightly the outer braid; leave a bit of play where it separates from the inner core, and make sure that the outer is not heated for too long when tinning. It may pay to use a good flux paste for the braids and pot shielding; just make sure that it's flux for electronics, and not acid-based, such as used by plumbers.
Hope this helps a little. Any more issues will need the use of a multi-meter (always a Good Purchase, too..!). B|

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I disconnected the volume pot and changed it out from a no load to a normal 250k potentiometer to see if there was an issue with it. Once replaced I was getting some feedback from the pickups so I think thay was part of the problem. There was a problem though, when I replaced the pick guard all sound cut off, after a lot of messing about I realised the 5 way switch was shorting off the cavity shielding I installed, but of electrical tape and the guitsr works perfect. Thanks for the advice on the soldering, I dont like the gun I have and I'll upgrade soon, this is just a trial run so to speak to get my head around all the electronica etc, thanks for the help 👍

2 hours ago, Cjfk84 said:

...any recommendations? 

Not the best, perhaps, but darned useful just the same..! I use one, for many tasks, especially when soldering (but not only...). If it's jack plugs you're soldering, the plug can be plugged into something (anything, really, as long as it's not turned on..!). A pedal, amp input, whatever... That'll hold the plug steady. Spring-type clothes pegs can help, too; one can even hold something in a peg, and hold the peg in the Rolson tool..! A small block of wood, with suitable holes drilled into it, can also make a support for stuff. I can't think of any 'magic bullet' device that does it all; a bit of 'System D', make-do and mend, and, of course, a big bucket full of Patience are about as best as it gets, along with the 'Helping Henry' Rolson tool.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1