stevetaylor20

New gear....can't decide

Guys, story short i used to have load of gear then nothing for a few years, now i'm ready to purchase. Specifically for home use and a love or marshall and guns n roses to factor in.

List of possibilities here in my mind but obviously don't want to blow shed loads of cash but willing to pay where I need to, ...cost effectiveness!

(prices in GBP)

Silver Jubilee 100W Head 255X 890.00
Silver Jubilee 20W Head 2525H 607.00
Silver Jubilee Small 2x12 Cab 450.00
Kemper profiler 1,400.00
Les Paul 50s 1,900.00
Slash Les Paul 2,600.00
Kamper Kabinet 350.00

Thoughts:

1. I have a feeling the slash gibson les paul isn't worth the extra cash? Looks amazing though, but possibly gold top 50s standard is better cash spent given that the pickups are basically the same, albeit some tweaks

2.  Feels immoral to have a kemper but everything reads amazing, so silver jubilee or kempler? I feel like to be a man i need a proper frickin head something that looks dirty. My mind is telling me to get kemper but testosterone is saying something physically big, you know

3. If i did buy kemper, what can i run a kemper profiler though (no pre amp), should i just buy for example an amp and power it through that? Or keep it simple and get the kemper kabinet which i assume i can just connect up to the profiler.

My gut feeling i to get the below that should do the job to be fair, just don't know about kemper.

Silver Jubilee 20W Head 2525H
Marshall 2536A Silver Jubilee 2x12

Slash Les Paul

Thanks

Steve

Edited by stevetaylor20

Man alive that’s a tasty shopping list! I hear only good things from Kemper users and the one time I heard them knowingly live, I was very impressed. They don’t have the visual presence of a big old Marshall stack, but they can do so much more (and don’t need the services of an osteopath). LP wise, it’s nice to have one’s heroes guitar, but I feel it can get in the way of being yourself and people might tend to view you as a wannabe and judge you against Mr Hudson rather than on your own merits. Full disclosure - I’m a huge fan of Goldtop LPs (preferably with P90s for my own use) they just look so right and age wonderfully. Still, nice decision to have to make.

This boutique 70's rig sits in my lounge,  the 100 watt Head has been reduced to 30-ish, it's a 4 x 12 cab,  it's fabulous all valve sound !

If I could afford the Kempler I'd flog this rig to Richtonemusic ,  and get some space back whilst emulating anything on the planet surface.  I have a Les Paul HP,  it has so many abilities sound wise, (maybe 150 different )  Put the two together and there would be no end of variation,   but would it be like the old graphic equalisers where you ended up with all the sliders set in the middle  ?

20190616_120137.jpg

• Like 1

Buy what you like, all other things being equal... I'm at the stage now, after nearly thirty odd years of collecting bits and pieces, that I'm going to sell half my guitars and a lot of other bits I collected for projects (pickups, couple bodies, necks, amps) cause it's just not my bag. Mostly stuff I bought to have a 'range' of sounds,whereas now I'm no longer interested in things like humbuckers, fancy wood tops, and such. Selling to buy more of what I do like...

Dont buy 100watts of Marshall stack for home use. Even if you live 100 miles from anyone else and all other parties in your household are deaf.... it'll still be too loud. Hell, with the way PAs have come on since the 60s, a 100watt Marshall stack isn't necessary for evne Wembley. Buy an amp that lets you get the sound you want at the

Guitar-wise, I'm not entirely against sig models. Hell, if I could find a Johnny Ramone model that I can afford left handed anywhere, I'd have one. If you're thinknig about any Les Paul, it's already basically a sig model. Personally I don't think the Slash one is worth the upcharge, but a Slash fan may disagree. Aesthetically I prefer the goldtop a long way over any burst (and a plain top vastly over figured wood).... but for me the HBs on a Les Paul are deal breakers - I'm a p90 guy on them. If you can afford it and it makes the difference, though, buy the one you want. If you've got the cash, don't buy the cheaper one *only* because it's cheaper if you're then always gonig to fell you settled for second best and it's not what you really wanted. Half the battle with a new guitar - and this is truer than most folks would admit - is hows it looks; if you don't look at it and want to play it, will you be inspired to pick it up? I've got an LP hanging on the wallof my lounge; looks great, but I've not been inspired to lift it down to play in, I think, about eight years now. My old Strat, on the other hand. I'll often lift even just to hold it...

All done and said, your 'gut instinct' shopping list sounds to me exactly what you really want - though no harm in trying theo ther guitar, of course....