Skinnyman

Top three guitarists?

7 hours ago, BadSituation said:

kotzen, SRV, EVH.  honorable mention to sambora.

over to a different genre- tommy emmanuel (who i may get to see this fall).  joe pass too.

Great to see Richie Kotzen getting some love. An often overlooked player and what a voice too.

there's simply no one that i know of that is making good, quality, original, (arguably) independent music these days.  with hooks, that is.  he's incredible.  he's the modern day hendrix.

and he's got over 20 albums, usually every year or so.  he did 50 song record for his 50th birthday.  still tours on a bus.  

he also records albums by himself- piano, drums, bass, vocals, etc.  

oh yeh and he has the best voice in rock.  i've seen him both as RK and also recently with the Winery Dogs.

it's really a shame that people associate him with one band he was in 30 years ago.  and he arguably did their best album.  genres are too distinct.  also a shame that everyone compares him with chris cornell when they really just are not that alike.  it's constant.

also his work with adrian smith is pretty good too.  his wife is a famous brazilian bassist and she plays with him too.  

lastly, this may be the best- i mean best- live show ive ever watched.  it's perfect (yes, im sure it's edited).  i watch it sometimes daily.  it's that good. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, knirirr said:

The players who got me interested years ago were, in order:

1. Hank Marvin.

2. Albert King.

3. Wes Montgomery.

I’ve listed my faves earlier in the thread. However, your list has me thinking about the guitar players that were played in my home when I was growing up and it’s very similar: Hank, Wes & Les Paul. There was also Barney Kessel, but Wes was more accessible to my young ears.

• Like 1

On 15/04/2020 at 13:23, darkandrew said:

When you look at my top 3 I think it's quite easy to spot that I am a product of the 80s. My top 3 are:

John McGeoch (Siouxsie and the Banshees, Magazine, PIL, etc) - amazing unorthodox talent and much missed (probably the guitar equivalent of Mick Karn).

Geordie Walker (Killing Joke) - again, an amazing unorthodox talent.

Andy Taylor (Duran Duran, Power Station, etc) - at first consideration, kind of the opposite of my other two choices but still a little unorthodox in his own way if you consider his hard rock playing style in the context of an 80s pop band.

I am in the same vein...

Keith Levene

Geordie Walker

John McGeoch

...and if I may give a special mention to the often overlooked John McKay (Siouxsie and the Banshees second guitarist) without whom I don't think Geordie nor John McGeoch would sound quite the way they do.

• Like 2