Skinnyman

Top three guitarists?

I remember Malmsteen first appearing on the scene and being impressed by his obvious talent. Even if it wasn't my 'thing', I always rather enjoyed how he squeezed all that widdly widdly out of a (relatively) conventional Strat when he could have chosen any number of superstrat types that were arguably more suitedto his purposes. Much the same as if I were a great blues player, I'd go onstage with a Dean ML. Sometimes you have to stay within the parameters of audience expectation (no matter how good you sound, I know to the rockabilly set if you don't look the part, forget it...), but it can also be great to mix it up as well...

For years, up to and including the "fooking fjury!" incident, I thought he was kind of an ass, but as I age I begin to wonder hoe much of that was playing a role. Wouldn't it be hilarious if he'd been trolling us all this time? (I once bought a leather jacket from the sound director who worked on the Sex Pistols' There'll Always Be An England 30th Anniversary DVD, and he told some fascinating stories of how Lydon switched between being an absolute sweetie who couldn't be nice enough to everyone to the Johnny Rotten persona assoon as the camera rolled.)

On 12/04/2020 at 20:25, Skinnyman said:

who are your favourites, the guys (or girls) who’ve influenced you or had the most profound effect?

Those are 3 different questions, and for me there a 3 different answers:

Favourites

Ray Burns (Captain Sensible)

Roberto Aussel

C.C. DeVille

Influenced

Francis Dunnery

Paul Gilbert

John Williams

Profound Effect

My mate Mark

My first classical guitar teacher

Kee Marcello

• Like 1

What a difficult topic to pick from! 

I literally have hundreds of guitarist I like and will feel sad for those I’d miss out.

my favourite is definitely Nuno Bettencourt. Next, Andy Timmons and the hundreds of others would be number 3 but … special mention and recommendation goes out to Paco De Lucia. 

Edited by andy67
  • Like 2

It was hard to pick just three because there are so many guitarists that have influenced me and all for different reasons but, I went for the three that I enjoy listening to the most; 

Michael Schenker

Billy Gibbons

Rory Gallagher

• Like 1

My brother in law is one because he can play any stringed instrument to a very high standard. He is left handed but learned right handed. He annoys me because he is that good. that him on the acoustic

After that I would say Mark Tremonti because he is just amazing

Lastly Slash purely for A- his sound and 2- his feeling!

• Like 2

On 12/04/2020 at 20:25, Skinnyman said:

As the title suggests, who are your top three guitarists?

Not necessarily “who’s the best” as that’s a much bigger question - who are your favourites, the guys (or girls) who’ve influenced you or had the most profound effect?

So many guitarists that I admire but my top 3/3 would have to be:

Favourites

Gary Moore

Stevie Ray Vaughan

David Gilmour

Influential

Joe Pass

Duane Allman

Freddie King

Most profound effect

The Treeman

Dave Lister

Steven Seagal

• Like 3

On 09/07/2021 at 07:16, Richie Rich said:

It was hard to pick just three because there are so many guitarists that have influenced me and all for different reasons but, I went for the three that I enjoy listening to the most; 

Michael Schenker

Billy Gibbons

Rory Gallagher

I would love to have seen Rory Gallagher talking to Keef about music. Both incredibly knowledgeable, and with such a genuine love of the whole thing. 

You know Gallagher was offered the lead spot in the Stones in January 75 after Mick Taylor walked out? It got quite far, but didn't quite happen in the end.. https://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/my-extraordinary-brother-rory--26659912.html#:~:text=It's a little-known fact,%3A "It was January 1975. 

Rory Gallagher has huge respect from music people in Belfast because he was one of a very small number of artists prepared to play there during the Troubles - he came every single year and did a show in the Ulster Hall at a time when even *some* artists actually from Belfast were leery of playing there. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

I would love to have seen Rory Gallagher talking to Keef about music. Both incredibly knowledgeable, and with such a genuine love of the whole thing. 

You know Gallagher was offered the lead spot in the Stones in January 75 after Mick Taylor walked out? It got quite far, but didn't quite happen in the end.. https://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/my-extraordinary-brother-rory--26659912.html#:~:text=It's a little-known fact,%3A "It was January 1975. 

Rory Gallagher has huge respect from music people in Belfast because he was one of a very small number of artists prepared to play there during the Troubles - he came every single year and did a show in the Ulster Hall at a time when even *some* artists actually from Belfast were leery of playing there. 

In Gerry McEvoy’s “Riding Shotgun” he makes a case for Rory possibly coming up with the Start It Up riff. Whilst I find this unlikely (it’s a decidedly 5 string, open G riff - Keef’s speciality) it’s an interesting insight in to how close Rory was with the Stones in those sessions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

In Gerry McEvoy’s “Riding Shotgun” he makes a case for Rory possibly coming up with the Start It Up riff. Whilst I find this unlikely (it’s a decidedly 5 string, open G riff - Keef’s speciality) it’s an interesting insight in to how close Rory was with the Stones in those sessions.

Now that is interesting! Indeed, until I read that report back when, I'd known he had been offered the Stones gig, but not how close it actually came to being a reality. I'd love a peek into a parallel world where it had gone ahead... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richie Rich said:

I saw Rory Gallagher live at the London Dominion Theatre in November 1988, great gig. 

Interestingly, Michael Schenker was also invited to audition for the Rolling Stones, back in 1973.

Yikes! I can’t imagine that would have ever worked out. Not just stylistically either, IIRC, MS was somewhat flakey back then* with his disappearing act. 

*He may still be.

I can only answer this as who I've been influenced by the most over the years and not necessarily the best guitarists, as that is a massive can of very talented worms with no answer to it !!

So I have been influenced by:

Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Adrian Smith (Iron Maiden), Joe Satriani, James Hetfield (Metallica), Gary Moore,

an Honorary mention to Robbie Krieger (The Doors)

I know it's more than 3, you're lucky I stopped there !!

Edited by Chudallica

Tough call to pick three. I'm going:

Nick Barrett - leader and songwriter for my fave band - Pendragon, and master of the melodic solo.

Thomas Blug - Live in Raalte is one of my fave albums ever, wonderful instrumental strat tones, great touch and feel.

Guthrie Govan - technically brilliant, but can also play with great emotion (Drive home or Regret #9 anyone?)

• Like 2

That's a tough one. Just 3 ?

I can't do it, just can't.....

Rory Gallagher (particularly when he was with Taste) 

Lowell George (Little Feat)

Ry Cooder

But, but, there's tons more. I mean Gary Moore, Richard Thompson, Jimmy Page, Joe Walsh, Steve Howe, Elliot Randall, Koss (very under rated),

John Martyn. All older granted 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 2pods said:

That's a tough one. Just 3 ?

I can't do it, just can't.....

Rory Gallagher (particularly when he was with Taste) 

Lowell George (Little Feat)

Ry Cooder

But, but, there's tons more. I mean Gary Moore, Richard Thompson, Jimmy Page, Joe Walsh, Steve Howe, Elliot Randall, Koss (very under rated),

John Martyn. All older granted 

Nice to see Richard Thompson getting a mention.

• Like 2

My three faves are all quite different in style…

1) Gordon Giltrap - whether in his 70s prog phase or later lone troubadour phase…  I’ve lost count how many times I’ve seen Gordon live!

2) Steve Howe - Yes/GTR/Asia

3) Gary Moore - Thin Lizzy: another player I’ve seen live innumerable times.

Honourable mentions…

• Phil Keaggy
  • Dave Bainbridge - Iona & sessions
  • Iain Bairnson - Kate Bush, Alan Parsons Project & sessions

• Like 2