ezbass

Favourite Guitarists.

Well yes, I get all that. I was just a bit surprised a few big names didn't come up even with a very small sample size is all. I mean, anybody calling themselves a guitarist ought to know most if not all the names on my list, surely. :ph34r:

In fairness though, I probably over-egged it a little. 9_9

Edited by leftybassman392

A couple of players I enjoy and haven’t seen mentioned yet.

Steve Rothery - I prefer marillions earlier albums where he played more obvious solos but his solo album is great.  

Joe Bonamassa- I understand the criticism of his songs writing compared to when he plays covers but he is prolific and constsnty busy.    His work with Beth Hart is probably my favourite at the movement.  

Edited by John_P
  • Like 1

A couple of other guitarists I really like that have so far not been mentioned, and a good chance they wouldn’t be ...

Francis Rossi, obviously not classed as a guitar hero by any stretch of the imagination, but better player than the 3 chord ability he is tagged with, and some of his solos, I’m thinking Backwater, Whatever You Want, Too Close to the Ground, I find very tuneful and melodic.

Chris Hayes, lead guitarist with Huey Lewis back in the day, think he has produced some fantastic guitar solos for pop songs, favourites are, Walking on a Thin Line, Back in Time & I Know What I Like.

Ok, I’ll add mine to the pot of already great players mentioned....

Steve Howe ... up to and including Close To the Edge.  Huge influence on my attitude toward the guitar.

Narciso Yepes ... he started the whole thing for me.

Guthrie Govan ... especially with Steven Wilson.  “Hand cannot erase” is such a great album.  Has anyone seen the video of the solo from “Regret #9 (I think that’s the one). One take and the look of relief on his face when he finishes!

Brad Paisley, Danny Gatton, Shawn Lane, George Benson, Wes Montgomery, Charlie Christian, Django Reinhardt, Oscar Aleman, George Barnes, Mike Stern, B.B. King, Al Di Meola, and so many more!

Xuefei Yang, Kazuhito Yamashita from the classical world, although Pavel Steidl, David Russell and Paul Galbraith are ridiculous. PG is sublime.  His style of playing (holds it like a cello), his touch and musicianship are out of this world.

Acoustic guitarists ... not so knowledgeable here!  The players I know have been mentioned.

We are fortunate enough to have so many to choose from and be humbled by.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Witters said:

Guthrie Govan ... especially with Steven Wilson.  “Hand cannot erase” is such a great album.  Has anyone seen the video of the solo from “Regret #9 (I think that’s the one). One take and the look of relief on his face when he finishes!

Indeed! Along with Nick Beggs and Marco Minnemann!

• Like 1

Well, well, as a bass player  I see I'm out of my depth here, some I like already mentioned,  Santana, Moore, what about  the now departed Jeff Healey,  I'll never play as well as him, and I can see ! 

On 25/08/2018 at 11:28, leftybassman392 said:

I realise that it's favourite guitarists rather than best guitarists, but I'm still quite surprised at those who haven't had a mention yet.

Electric: What about Guthrie Govan? Or Allan Holdsworth? Or Robin Trower? Or Jan Akkerman? Or Steve Vai? Or Duanne Allman? Or Paul Kossoff? Or Paul Gilbert? Or Eric Clapton fer crissakes? Not to mention...

Acoustic: Well, there's Adrian Legge; and Martin Simpson; or what about John Renbourne? Richard Thompson? Newton Faulkner? Dylan's acoustic work isn't generally my cuppa tea, but he must be on somebody's list, surely?...

Jazz: Martin Taylor? Joe Pass? Barney Kessell? Jim Hall?...

That's a lot of questions. Why not just answer the original question - We will be here forever if we all type loads of great guitarists that no-one else has mentioned!

Favourites, here's a few for me: Thomas Blug, Philip Sayce, Nick Barrett, Eric Johnson, Ritchie Blackmore particularly on live stuff. Yeah, I kind of go for strat players. 

eH.... in no particular order.... Chuck Berry, Link Wray, BB King, Dick Dale, Eddie Cochran, Joe Moretti, Scotty Moore, Mick Jones, Steve Jones, Johnny Ramone, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Kurt Cobain, Jack White, Phil Chevron, Jake Burns, Sean O'Neill.... Probably think of a few more later. 

On 14/10/2018 at 19:08, leftybassman392 said:

Pure coincidence, but I was just thinking about Lukather. Mighty impressive songwriting and producing CV too.

He's an incredibly expressive player!  And it might seem like he's fairly laid back in interviews but when he brings it to the table, it stays brung.

Eric Clapton if only for being the reason I took up guitar all those years ago... although I haven't really listened to anything later than the 1970s...

Jimi Hendrix... all day every day... 

Joe Pass

Wes Montgomery

Grant Green

Django Reinhardt

Stochello Rosenburg

Birelli Lagrene

Biel Ballister

John Renbourn

loads more