ezbass

Favourite Guitarists.

This seems only appropriate as it seems a popular subject on BC. I'll start:

Eric Johnson

Robben Ford

Steve Morse

Brian Setzer

Tuck Andress

Mark Knopfler (at least the first 3 DS albums anyway).

I've also recently been listening to a lot of Richie Kotzen, but I can't add him (yet) as he might be just this week's 'must listen to' player.

• Like 2

For their sense of melody, restraint, overall versatility and sheer class I'd say Mark Knoplfer and David Gilmour. 

For intensity and fire I choose Stevie Ray Vaughan. I'm too young to remember Hendrix. 

And for sheer energy, volume and infectious boogie of his playing I choose Angus Young. 

Honourable mentions also to Slash, Joe Walsh and John Martyn each of which has a style and touch you can instantly recognise. 

• Like 1

For sheer expressive range and melodic ideas, I have to say John Scofield. 

For 17 Grammies: Pat Metheny. 

For sheer beauty and individualism : Ralph Towner

For sheer bloody hellness: Yamandu Costa

1 hour ago, SH73 said:

Adrian Smith

Good shout on Adrian Smith. He's a great tasteful player. 

I always loved Matthias Jabs from the Scorpions too. Always on the correct side of being a widdler, but an incredibly adept player with lots of melody and style.

His stuff from late 70s to mid 80s was absolutely incendiary.

21 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

Honourable mentions also to Slash, Joe Walsh and John Martyn each of which has a style and touch you can instantly recognise. 

As they say on Planet Rock, one's day is always made better with a bit of Joe Walsh; Turn To Stone is my personal favourite.

• Like 1

So many... in sort of no particular order...

• Gordon Giltrap - right at the top of my list
  • Gary Moore
  • Steve Howe
  • Phil Keaggy
  • Wes Montgomery 
  • Alex Lifeson
  • Ian Bairnson - Pilot, Kate Bush and The Alan Parsons Project
  • Brian Robertson/Scott Gorham - The Classic Thin Lizzy line up!
  • Stevie Ray Vaughan
  • Larry Carlton

...that’ll do for now.

• Like 3

Too many to name; it depends very much what mood I'm in. Would love to listen to any of the above at different times (apart from the ones I've not knowingly heard of course... 🙃).

All I would say on the subject is that I'm old enough to remember the earthquake that was Jimi Hendrix (I was 15 in 1968).

Er... Joe Satriani (pre-2000) for solo work and composition skills, Dave Mustaine and James Hetfield for that original thrash rhythm thang, Alex Skolnik for mixing metal and jazz in his guitar work without screwing up either... or are these guys far too mainstream and well-known to be mentioned here? :ph34r: :) B|

John McGeoch (Magazine, Banshees, PIL, etc) is without doubt my all time favourite guitarist due to his endless creativity. Other guitarists that have been an influence on me are Nile Rodgers, Robin Simon, Geordie Walker and Andy Taylor - you can tell I grew up in the 80s can't you.

Edited by darkandrew
  • Like 1

I'll take the liberty of drawing up separate lists for acoustic and electric players (largely so I can waffle on for longer)...

Electric: Ritchie Blackmore, Son Seals, Carlos Santana, Joanne Shaw Taylor, Blixa Bargeld, Robert Quine

Acoustic: another one for Bert Jansch, Ralph McTell (really underrated as a guitarist), Davey Graham, John Crampton. And I've only just got round to hearing her first album, but Gwennifer Raymond may yet become a favourite.

• Like 1

Liking quite a bit there from the OP and there are so many to choose from.

Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson for starting it all for me

I like the Steely Dan contributors with Larry Carlton top of the list

Robben Ford, particularly the 'Talk to your Daughter' period and sound

A lot of the LA and AOR guys like Steve Lukather, Michael Thompson, Tim Pierce and the mighty Dann Huff. The sounds are as much of an influence as is the playing

My 'Rhythm Kings' are Nile Rodgers, Paul Jackson Jr, Andy Summers and I'll include Eddie Van Halen, as well

l

• Like 1

On 20/08/2018 at 19:27, TrevorR said:
  • Ian Bairnson - Pilot, Kate Bush and The Alan Parsons Project

Ian Bairnson is an unsung hero. You could sing his solos all day and such a fabulously melodic player. That's him on the end solo of "Wuthering heights' NOT Dave Gilmour as a lot of people thought.

His body of work with The Alan Parsons Project is so strong but I heard recently that due to ill health and some sort of condition, it's forced him to stop playing :(

Edited by Kebabkid
  • Like 1

I realise that it's favourite guitarists rather than best guitarists, but I'm still quite surprised at those who haven't had a mention yet.

Electric: What about Guthrie Govan? Or Allan Holdsworth? Or Robin Trower? Or Jan Akkerman? Or Steve Vai? Or Duanne Allman? Or Paul Kossoff? Or Paul Gilbert? Or Eric Clapton fer crissakes? Not to mention...

Acoustic: Well, there's Adrian Legge; and Martin Simpson; or what about John Renbourne? Richard Thompson? Newton Faulkner? Dylan's acoustic work isn't generally my cuppa tea, but he must be on somebody's list, surely?...

Jazz: Martin Taylor? Joe Pass? Barney Kessell? Jim Hall?...

Edited by leftybassman392

41 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

I realise that it's favourite guitarists rather than best guitarists, but I'm still quite surprised at those who haven't had a mention yet.

Electric: What about Guthrie Govan? Or Allan Holdsworth? Or Robin Trower? Or Jan Akkerman? Or Steve Vai? Or Duanne Allman? Or Paul Kossoff? Or Paul Gilbert? Or Eric Clapton fer crissakes? Not to mention...

Acoustic: Well, there's Adrian Legge; and Martin Simpson; or what about John Renbourne? Richard Thompson? Newton Faulkner? Dylan's acoustic work isn't generally my cuppa tea, but he must be on somebody's list, surely?...

Jazz: Martin Taylor? Joe Pass? Barney Kessell? Jim Hall?...

Probably down to lack of replies at this time, if this was BC there would be probably 5 times the amount of posts; give it time. Guthrie Govan, what a talent, The Aristocrats are amazing. Good shout on Richard Thompson, as adept on electric as he is on acoustic guitar and a song writer par excellence, who I’ve seen many times.

56 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Probably down to lack of replies at this time, if this was BC there would be probably 5 times the amount of posts; give it time. Guthrie Govan, what a talent, The Aristocrats are amazing. Good shout on Richard Thompson, as adept on electric as he is on acoustic guitar and a song writer par excellence, who I’ve seen many times.

I do like Thompson's acoustic playing, and like you have seen him many times (although not recently in fairness). I'm a fan of Simpson as well, but get the feeling he's slipped under the collective radar a bit as he never seems to get mentioned in these kind of straw polls. Fantastically good acoustic player.

She Slips Away

Edited by leftybassman392

20 hours ago, ezbass said:

Indeed, although it would be fantastic to have the same level of activity as on basschat its not going to happen overnight unfortunately!

• Like 1