ezbass

Favourite Guitarists.

Interestingly, through a very non-scientific scan through all these posts it looks like Nile Rodgers and Billy Gibbons are getting more mentions than most. While I'm very familiar with Rodgers' playing, I've got to be honest and say that I'm not really up to speed with Billy Gibbons - any recommendations for a quick catch up?

On 31/12/2018 at 09:46, darkandrew said:

Interestingly, through a very non-scientific scan through all these posts it looks like Nile Rodgers and Billy Gibbons are getting more mentions than most. While I'm very familiar with Rodgers' playing, I've got to be honest and say that I'm not really up to speed with Billy Gibbons - any recommendations for a quick catch up?

Here's a couple of things to get you started:

I never warmed to ZZ Top (the "showmanship" always put me off, and when I saw them on television acting as if they were the mos hilarious people the world had ever seen because the only member in the band called 'Beard' was the one who - get this - didn't have a beard, I would have cheerfully shot the lot of them), *but* Billy Gibbons is a very gifted player. I'm always impressed in interviews too how many younger names on that general scene have such good things to say about how he complimented them or mentored or encouraged them: you can always tell someone is secured in their own ability by the fact that they want to share the joy, and help others make it too, rather than talk themselves up at others' expense. 

• Like 2

Above: Billy is a brilliant player, daft as a box of frogs obviously, just like the other two, but very good. There are some amazing bits of gnarly, twisty playing (not forgetting the trademark pinch harmonics) across the ZZ catalogue.

The player that made me ask for a guitar for my 18th was Dave Gilmour.

Other geetarists of whom I am in favour: John Petrucci, Alex Lifeson, Paul Gilbert.

There will be so many not to be mentioned in this post, but i think they are all expected, mine too are all of the same players, but my most recent favourites mainly because of musical composition are Marco Sfogli, Plini and Tramaine. All of each are very different to the usual Djent stuff that everybody copies from Meshuggah and the same. Although Tramaine has very heavy sounding songs, they are also very nostalgic and is a perfect blend old and new, same I feel with Marco also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XTN0TpmJ-4

• Like 1

Gordon Giltrap (pretty much anything of his but Fear of the Dark is a long time favourite)

Andy Latimer of Camel (Ice from I Can See Your House From Up Here)

Larry Carlton

Pat Metheny (especially when trading solos with Lyle Mays on piano, not so much on the Zero Tolerance nonsense.....)

Edited by Skinnyman

Alan Murphy (for his beautiful, hauntingly melodic solos)

Steve Lukather (for his bombastic, balls out solos, quirky jumps and power chords) 

Nile Rodgers (because funk, baby)

Both my feet are planted firmly in the early to mid 80's.