Patrick1964

Hello from North Wales

Hello all, I am a relative beginner, playing for about two years. I mostly play my second hand, couldn’t leave it where it was Martin DRS acoustic but bought a Gretsch Electromatic which I look at occasionally. I have a lesson most weeks, and can’t understand why I didn’t do this decades ago when I lived in shared houses with friends with guitars, but here we are. Next step is barre chords and finding others nearby to play with for fun.

Edited by Patrick1964

HI Patrick - welcome aboard!  Barre chords are a great way to expand your understanding of harmony.  Are you practicing songs you like or are you just putting in the grind at the moment to improve your technique?

Thanks to you both. I’m mostly practicing songs, with some scales to warm up. My teacher is pretty good about bringing songs  to try that will broaden my technique, I think. 
Pics of my guitars below. I also have a Vintage electro acoustic, but I don’t play it much since I bought the DRS.

8CF956FC-A598-4A77-A5D8-6808A0DF25E2.jpeg

7BE8941E-923C-4C25-8715-4D19719042FA.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Patrick and welcome. 

That Gretsch is lovely 😊 

You suggest you don’t play it? Is that because it’s “too nice” (I have a couple like that) or because you’re concentrating on the acoustic?

Its too good to sit on a stand and not be used - get it played!

Hi Patrick, Lovely guitars to be starting with you have there.

Hope your guitar journey gives you much fulfilment... the best advice I can offer to anyone is to play as lightly as possible - you only need touch the string to the fretwire , rather than trying to contact the wood of the fretboard. same with picking.. more dynamics will be available -  power comes more from the speed of attack than the force applied. I learned this the hard way - by wasting lots of time (and precious fret metal).

I started on bass, and only really progressed when I lightened up.... this has muchly helped my bass playing/tone too.

Also,The Gretsch is stunning, and will be easier to learn barre chords on... just sayin'...

5 hours ago, Kiwi said:

I've been tempted by a gretch simply for indulging the Billy Duffy thing. 

Oh yes! that Sanctuary 'riff actally played on a white falcon... this broke lefty prolly wont get a chance,unfortunately

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, OldG said:

Oh yes! that Sanctuary 'riff actally played on a white falcon... this broke lefty prolly wont get a chance,unfortunately

Yes it is, but the filtertron pickups are where it's all at and Gretch do cheaper instruments with filtertrons than the White Falcon.  The Gretches I've played have this tight rawness to them which overdrives wonderfully and they're so light!

Edited by Kiwi

Ok, thats getting  my GAS circuitry stirring.... the  mongrel 'frankie'  I threw together would be ideal for trying a filtertron type...  it currently wears  very rude,.aggressive P90's  in the neck and bridge and a jangly lipstick in middle - d'ya reckon a fitertron sound might fit in somewhere?

87468836_10156741328916571_5487238096971890688_o.jpg

Edited by OldG

2 hours ago, OldG said:

it currently wears  very rude,.aggressive P90's  in the neck and bridge and a jangly lipstick in middle - d'ya reckon a fitertron sound might fit in somewhere?

Gosh, I like the sound (metaphorically speaking of course) of those P90s. I’ve had Filtertrons and they are great, with a very specific set of tones (Brian Setzer uses them all), but P90s (or p/ups voiced like P90s) are my favourite pickups. A ‘Tron in the bridge of your Strat might be an interesting addition, after all, Fender use them in Cabronitas.