ezbass

Guitars We have Owned - A History

During these days of isolation, I wondered if a pictorial history of the guitars we have owned might not fill the time. Therefore, I opened up my photos app and was shocked to find so few in digital form. Undeterred, I made a collage of those I could find and leave it here for your perusal and, hopefully, additions of your own. Notable guitars missing from this selection are: my very first guitar, an Audition Strat-o-like; my PRS Swamp Ash Special; a Fender Fotoflame Strat (great playing guitar but heavy as a boat anchor); a Gibbo ES335 (one of the few guitars I made a profit on when I sold it); Tokai Love Rock and Breezysound (LP and Strat, fabulous instruments); there are many others too, but not really worthy of mention and when totalled up, a little embarrassing. I'm sure I have photos of them somewhere in the loft, but we'll see how the ennui progresses in the coming weeks before I feel the need to venture up there. And so, on with the show...

Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 16.25.40.jpeg

Apologies for those 4 string things photobombing our hallowed, treble pages 😂

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

You like PRS then.. :) Why did you sell? 

I was actually looking at photos of my past low end purchases and wandering whether to post something similar.  I've only offloaded two guitars from the 6 I have though,  a sunbust Yammy MSG and I gave a Wolf 6 string away.  Pic of the Yammy later,  I don't have any of the Wolf. 

20151114_104058_HDR.thumb.jpg.4b1dc19e7f36a2097899ab007e1dd237.jpg

• Like 1

PRS build quality is stunning and the McCarty was the best humbucker equipped guitar I’d ever heard. I bought the Swamp Ash Special to compliment it. However, after a while I found that the ergonomics didn’t suit me, anything from the 10th fret upwards made it feel like my left elbow was squashed against my side and felt cramped. The SE singlecut was better in that respect, but I had moved to bass by then and it didn’t get played that much (another stunner with pickups that were as good as Duncans and Bareknuckles, which I tried in it). The McCarty paid for my first ‘quality’ bass, a Fender USA Jazz, with change left over. I had a count up in bed last night as I couldn’t sleep, I got to 34 guitars over the years, both electric and acoustic, but I’m sure I must’ve forgotten one or two. I might have to make that list after all.

I tried my first PRS this time last year in Hong Kong.  I was blown away by how playable the Santana SE model was.  Played like butter.  But they don't sound that nice clean, kinda harsh.  Fantastic overdriven though.

45 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

I tried my first PRS this time last year in Hong Kong.  I was blown away by how playable the Santana SE model was.  Played like butter.  But they don't sound that nice clean, kinda harsh.  Fantastic overdriven though.

Carlos doesn't do clean does he? :D My McCarty was a great all rounder, but the brand does seem to be favoured by the cascading distortion brigade.

10 hours ago, ezbass said:

Carlos doesn't do clean does he? :D My McCarty was a great all rounder, but the brand does seem to be favoured by the cascading distortion brigade.

Yeah I've watched videos of the 519/509 which attracted my attention and even when Paul was demonstrating the 'single coil mode' I thought it was a bit raw sounding.  Once I have a bit more disposable income, my eye is on a Custom 22 and maybe a 503.  The guitarist in a band I was once in back in the late 80's had an early PRS Custom 22 and a Boogie Mark IIc.  You could see they were his holy grail and with good reason.  It was in a different league to everything else I had heard - Jems into 5150, Strats into Marshalls etc.  The overdrive was so tight.

My eclectric (TM) guitars. Tele was a consolation I bought to make up for having a pink Hohner strat (prezzie from my brother) nicked, its an indonesian Squier from the plywood body period. Tokai SG was a prezzie from my other brother:

Guitars.thumb.jpg.f0108dd0ffcb40b1ac67d86b64200670.jpg

The freaky explorer with its hand hacked from plywood body and neck from a skip got a new eBay body which appears to be best balsa wood...

1497884230_DeathburgerIIcomplete.thumb.JPG.cfacca0da7b3834ab81c3195cfe71b9b.JPG

The IBanez got its hardware upgraded - my bro gave me a Di Marzio 'buckjer and a Gretsch pickup:

2063651398_Ibanez4.thumb.JPG.5d5abff9bd534d5ff80a33ba0e8506b2.JPG

My first electric was the K-2T, s/h just afetr Running Free came out, modestly upgraded from shite to not-quite-as-shite:

K-2T.thumb.jpg.08b65cfcff1de17622885d43c47907b1.jpg

Various acoustic things, strumsticks were prezzies for my brothers. ~1975 Epiphone acoustic was my 21st birthday present from parent chosen when I found it in a s/h shop while at uni.

Acoustic.thumb.JPG.3c43e7ba421470c3dd0bb6568ea129be.JPG

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

I had a few gibsons a while back. '79 Deluxe, 2010 AFD, '59LP jr, '67 SG jr, 2002 R7, Custom shop Flying V Custom, Faded flying V, early Studio with Ebony board

024.JPG

I still have the SG jr , The AFD and the Deluxe. The studio belongs to Mrs PS

Edited by police squad
  • Like 1