Skinnyman

What are you learning to see you through the lockdown?

I have no excuses any more so I figure I have to use this enforced leisure time to improve my guitar playing. I’ve always struggled playing with a pick (I have a mild essential tremor) and that has limited my ability to solo (I end up playing finger-style like a bass) so now is the time for me to put in the hours and find a better method that overcomes the tremor but allows me to get some speed and fluidity into my playing.

In addition to the usual scales and arpeggios, I’m also learning this;

What’s on your “must learn” list to keep you busy through the lockdown?

• Thanks 1

I learnt Zorba the Greek off youtube. I honed my skills recently as I had no idea before the last 2 weeks. I have been playing for many years and struggled a lot. My rhythm is still seriously lacking although I'm almost OK when playing along to a track. I can post a sound recording to reiterate my point if necessary.

It is possible to play along strumming quite easily by tuning to open G and barring frets. G is open, Am is bar at 2, C is bar at 5, D is bar at 7.

Physically using rhythm and melody 

Tuned to open G on upper 4 strings, on lower 2 strings standard tuning as they are used for the melody, and if you know harmonised major scale (where 1st&3rd, 2nd&4th, 3rd&5th, 4th&6th, 5th&7th, 6th&1st, 7th&2nd notes are used together to make the sound thicker, it does that at some stages where 2 strings are plucked so for g chord out of gbd, g&b are used.

So left hand can physically play rhythm & melody at same time by barring, and some fingers left over for the melody.

It uses bass notes for an underlying rhythm, and the middle strings too sometimes to alternate. 

So  D G D g b e   (notes of the G chord are G B D, so it is almost a G chord).

Song Structure

I think the song follows normal rules and uses the standard Major scale (called Ionian mode out of the 7 modes) like almost all songs do anyway as far as I know. I am fairly ignorant. For verse uses the Major 7th sound as it slides up to the 1 note, and for chorus uses the 9 note (which is  actually 1#, but called 9 as sus2 flat does not work as a name I think), so:

On verse generally: 7th note slid to 1 note, where 1 note is played on beat 1. (7th Major scale sound)

On chorus gernerally 1 note slides to 1#, where 1# note is played on beat 1. (Phyrigian mode/Minor Scale sound as uses a flat 2nd note?)

(Phyrigian Mode Lesson: youtube.com/watch?v=ZnoKgWnMEq8)

(Picture of Piano keyboard: rolandcorp.com.au/blog/styles-and-modes-for-piano)

It is in the key of G, and uses circle of 5ths standard rules for the underlying song structure (eg what the left hand plays on a piano). Although these rules are broken slightly at times as sometimes goes to different chord than dictated here). So rules for circle of fifths 

1 chord - any chord

2 chord - 5 chord

3 chord - 6 chord

4 chord - 1 or 5 chords

5 chord to 1 chord

In major scale 2 chord is a minor, 3 chord is a minor, 6 chord is a minor. I IV and V are major chords. I know why but won't say as just outlining the song.

Chords:

Verse

G, Am, C, G, D, G  (this is - I to ii minor to IV to I to V to I)

G Am G Am D7 G (this is - I to ii minor to I to iii minor to V7 to I)

Chorus

G Am G Am D G  (this is -- I to ii minor to I to ii minor to V to I)

G G7 C G (bla bla bla)

G Am G Am G (bla bla bla)

Verse Again

G Am G Am7 D7 G

Outro

G for a long time, at end D G D G

Edited by BoppingT
  • Like 1

Two weeks ago it was Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants To Rule The World but I ran out of time to learn the solo. 

(BTW Dave Price is my favourite Youtube tutor right now.  He covers pretty much every single song I've wanted to learn.  I even bought the Alan Murphy pack off him a few years ago.)

Last week it was Flesh for Fantasy as I'm on a bit of a Steve Stevens thing right now.  This week it's Rebel Yell...

• Like 1

Skinnyman,

I listened to Pressure Points Camel. I think it is good and it reminds me of Have a Cigar by pink Floyd. ''The band is just fantastic, that is really what I think''. I do actually think fairly good though.

I will learn Have a Cigar and then try that Camel song, as they sound similar to me.

Edited by BoppingT
  • Like 1

Hi, I think Pressure Points by Camel must be recorded using a Midi & GR-55 or something of that calibre. It just sounds too accurate and professional. Maybe the Midi&GR55 are the equivalent of recording in a Studio.

I have never tried the Midi pickup but as far as I can tell it takes a lot of operator error out of the process. Maybe it is not as fun to play the guitar then. I don't know. Any thoughts?

Edited by BoppingT

I want to know what the government's plan is for coronavirus. Is it

1 To suppress the peak but have cases ongoing for the foreseeable future

2 To get down to 0 cases within 2 months, de isolate after and play it by ear. 

I reckon the people who responded to my post will know. Cheers

On 28/03/2020 at 11:08, BoppingT said:

Hi, I think Pressure Points by Camel must be recorded using a Midi & GR-55 or something of that calibre. It just sounds too accurate and professional. Maybe the Midi&GR55 are the equivalent of recording in a Studio.

I have never tried the Midi pickup but as far as I can tell it takes a lot of operator error out of the process. Maybe it is not as fun to play the guitar then. I don't know. Any thoughts?

I saw Camel live on the Pressure Points tour and it’s just a regular Les Paul that Andy Latimer plays 😁

We were on the second row and my then wife slept soundly through the whole performance 😳

Ive got a GR55 which I use from time to time - its a fantastic piece of kit once it’s set up for the guitar you’re using. I just wish I could find more use for it (I’ve used it mainly with bass but it’s far more flexible on guitar)

Edited by Skinnyman

On 10/04/2020 at 09:06, BoppingT said:

I want to know what the government's plan is for coronavirus. Is it

I think this is something we’d all like to know but it’s probably a subject that’s better discussed in its own thread in Off Topic.......

This may be a good time to start such a thread?

I'm trying to learn   'The Mists of time'  by John Mayall & Bluesbreakers,   but,    being a member of BC as well,  I'm going for both the bass and lead guitar using a boss looper.    I got to a point and now I'm going backwards thanks to diy,   car polishing,  etc.   I think I've stopped concentrating. 

11 hours ago, MWH said:

I'm trying to learn   'The Mists of time'  by John Mayall & Bluesbreakers,   but,    being a member of BC as well,  I'm going for both the bass and lead guitar using a boss looper.

Just been off to the 'tube for a listen.. Great song, ideal for bass/lead looping - I admire your ambition...

11 hours ago, MWH said:

I got to a point and now I'm going backwards thanks to diy,   car polishing,  etc.   I think I've stopped concentrating.

That'll be the lockdown cabin fever kickin' in.. I am also experiencing bouts of random uncharacteristic cleaning and maintenance - hopefully this will pass soon and I can resume proper time wasting. :)

Edited by OldG
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nearly forgot to mention  learning goals atm ...

spent most of last week adding to and remixing old recordings of a song -  taking on the intricacies of music production using Reaper.. Mind blowingly capable software that does pretty much any thing you need to make you music. Been learning for over 10 years now and its just starting to click. Free lockdown licenses available atm.

track here:   My  wife Lucy wrote, sang and played acoustic and virtual strings.. Toms, bass and arpeggiated guitar from myself - first ever finished original track!

Needing mixing, arranging critique to work from - so please feel free to comment with anything fairly civil.

Warning: contains emotion...

Edited by OldG
  • Thanks 1

Wow !,      that's great,  well done guys !,  I know I'll never get to that level,   I started learning bass and guitar too late in life so I have no problems with my level of 'expertise '.   My missus was a good choir sing-ist,  but sadly let it go.    Today I my first day of being furloughed off work so if I can kick my own butt enough I can  practice more through the day instead of endless tasks to catch up on.       Keep up the good work   !!

Hey thanks, MWH!  Really appreciate you taking time to comment , and glad you liked it...  really nothing musically complicated though.. it took more time to arrange and mix/master.

As for 'expertise' levels - I  realised early on that I'll never reach  being  'great' or even 'good enough' and concentrated on being musical enough to really enjoy myself...

I do hope you find some inspiring stuff to do during furlough... maybe get  your lady singing while you play?

On 14/04/2020 at 14:12, OldG said:

......    maybe get  your lady singing while you play?

Ah ,  maybe I left the    " her ashes are scattered on the small beach at North Landing,  Flamborough "  out of my post,   but thanks for the sentiment.  No need for an apology by the way. 

• Sad 1

I see,. and yes most certainly as you put it ...  Ah...  A very strong example of  'opens mouth ,inserts foot'  once again...  Doh! 

I am actively trying to be less ' inappropriate'  as I get more aged, but this shows I could still make a career out of it...

As no apology is needed, can I at least offer my sincere but  late condolences...and wish you all the best in these strange times.

• Like 1

Working in academia, my job has carried on as 'new normal' - basically all teaching has gone online, and I'm busier than ever as this form of delivery is markedly more labour intensive. I've not had achance to lift a guitar for weeks. We also entered lockdown abouyt a fortnight before hte official requirement owing otm y partner's health. So far I'm actually just fine with it - I'll miss the events I'd otherwise have done, and my teachnig in Beijing isn't as much fun delivered online (I'll also miss my businessclass flights - #firstworldproblems ).

Guitar wise, I'd like to find the time to get organised to sell off a lot of bits (though as most of it will be 'buyer collect', I'll have to wait for a while to sell proper), as I can't buy anything new until I do, and there's two Harley Benton's Imma seriously GASing for. More productively, if I can find the time I'd like to work through some online lesons, including learning to play 'I fought the Law' properly.