Thunderpaws

NGD offset wonder😀 Fender Sixty Six

Absolutely delighted to bring home a new Fender Sixty Six from guitarguitar in Glasgow last weekend. 
Bob and the other staff couldn’t have been any more helpful if they had tried. Brilliant shopping experience from start to finish. Played through a kemper in the booth using a range of profiles. 

Actually went in to pick up a Gretsch Electromatic but came home with this instead. Tried many others from £600 to £800 and this was easily the best neck, best fit / finish, best sound and playability out of the lot...though didn’t play any strats. 

The neck and bridge pups are easily the best sounds on the guitar, though the middle is very usable. The mix of bridge humbucker and middle Tele single coil is also great. 

Took a buddy along to help out and he’s going back in for the Suhr Ian Thornley sig model he tried while we were there too. That was lovely. 

CF813F52-9D56-4109-8401-0B4D2F02A22F.jpeg

• Like 3

Hey all. 

still loving it! The neck And middle pickups are tele style alnico 5s. 5 way switch.  It has an ash body too so is different in that respect to their usual offerings. 

I think they only made them for one year so once they’re gone they’re gone. 

@EliasMooseblaster the thing sounds great to me, this is quite a good wee video....

I love how Fender produce these 'could have been' series.... Aesthetically,  my tastes mostly cuts off at 1959, but there's something about these very sxitiesish 'what ifs' that really wiggles my wire. Maybe it's the fact that they remind me so much of a lot of the wild and obscure guitars a lot of my punk rock heroes wielded. It would be interesting to see a relic version of a guitar like this - have the Custom shop produce a few and then have Fender put them out there as a "long lost" first batch of a new guitar that was stolen on the way to market - do it as an April Fool..... but an interesting experiment to see whether they could make people think that one of these designsreally was from that period. Wouldn't take much to photoshop one into the hands of Dick Dale or Link Wray.... and it's the kind of thing I could imagine Link especially playing.

This 66 would look fantastic paired with a nice burst J bass....

I'd love to see them have a go at the old Squier Supersonic in this Fender vein... I remember badly wanting oneo f those, but they never came left handed, and the neck was just too smallfor comfort. Put a maple, 70s-style Strat neck on one of those, switch out the bridge HB for a really ballsy Tele pup (like a Tele Bridge sized p90), and that would be quite something....

On 28/02/2020 at 19:24, Thunderpaws said:

@EliasMooseblaster the thing sounds great to me, this is quite a good wee video....

Thanks very kindly for the link. That does sound like a really nice bit of kit - I can see why you're enjoying it! I thought the neck-middle combination sounded particularly nice. Reminds me of a time when three-pickup Teles seemed to be much more commonplace*.

*About 15 years ago, maybe? Or did I just imagine that?