MWH

... Slide Playing ...

Any tuning is ‘right’. However, I found taking off the E string and tuning to open G, like Keef and Chris Rea, gave the most pleasing results (you can also leave the E string on and down tune it to D). You can get some nice chord voicings by fretting notes behind the slide. If you haven’t already, check out Sonny Landreth, IMO the king of slide.

Edited by ezbass
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MWH said:

So,    does anyone here play with a  slide  ?,  and if you do,  can you give me some hints and tips please ?,  presently tuned open  D,  is even that right ?, thanks.

Fairly self-explanatory, I'd have thought?!?!?! :/

funny-slide-1__69139.1556196341_1280_1280.thumb.png.a9f1d4682bf82d1e7e8f42f2e6c86a1b.png

:D

• Haha 1

Big fan of slide guitar myself. Open D's good, as is open G - sometimes it's easier to retune than start faffing with capos halfway up the neck! I believe there are even a few masochists who keep their guitars in standard, but they tend to be lead guitarists like Joe Perry or Ritchie Blackmore, who just use it for the odd solo here and there.

Are you learning slide on acoustic or electric? In a bid to get the hang of it, I invested in a second acoustic guitar which I could slap some heavy strings on and leave in an open chord tuning (D and G are good for counteracting the extra tension from a set of .16s) - as luck would have it, it turned out resonators were available at a similar price point to mid-level standard acoustics.

Conversely, if you're learning on electric, open E and A are worth exploring - the extra tension can help stop the slide knocking on the frets!