LegateNaarifin

May as well get a "I'm a beginner and want a new guitar" thread going...

Hi all, well isn't this new site cool? All it's missing is the beginner guitar thread.

Well, here it is!

I'm a bassist that writes music, which means writing guitar parts, and my current thin-stringer just isn't comfortable, or very good sounding. So I'm after something nice and fairly well rounded, suited for writing/recording sparkly cleans and heavy rock/metal stuff. I doubt it'll ever leave the house, so it doesn't have to be the nicest looking or sturdiest thing. What would you lot suggest? The budget of £400 isn't set in stone, don't mind spending slightly over but would be nice to spend less.

Also, to spice things up, I have flirted with the idea of a seven string guitar (to match my 5/6 string basses), so suggestions in that realm would also be appreciated.

Cheers in advance,

Kieron

If your'e considering preowned instruments then you might be able to get a Mexican tele or strat for around or slightly over the £400 mark.

New I'd be looking at the usual Squiers and Epiphones but also at lower end Yamaha Pacificas and Revstars, but most of the bigger manufacturers such as Jackson and Ibanez all have models in that price range these days.

• Like 1

You also can't go wrong with an Epiphone Les Paul or SG if you're leaning towards a rock sound.

Gordon Smith guitars are great, I have owned a couple of Graduate 60's in the past (single cut LP style guitars).

Also maybe look at a second hand PRS SE. Again, I've owned a couple of the Singlecut Soapbars in the past, and they were great guitars, well built, played well & sounded good. Regret selling them.oo.

The JHS "Vintage" guitars get a good write up too.

The usual advice of "try before you buy" stands up well in this situation though. Take some time out, visit a guitar shop or two (ahem), and try as many as you like. Buy the one that plays, sounds and feels the best to you.

• Like 1

On 21/08/2018 at 13:44, Skybone said:

You also can't go wrong with an Epiphone Les Paul or SG if you're leaning towards a rock sound.

The JHS "Vintage" guitars get a good write up too.

And rightly so...

On 22/08/2018 at 13:46, LegateNaarifin said:

All these are great suggestions. I'm definitely leaning towards a double bucker, probably LP style. I think I'm just going to have to sit down with an axe or 12 and see which one feels right, I'm never going to be able to choose otherwise! Plus it's a good day out

...I can speak very highly of the Vintage VS6 - their SG copy. Two HBs, nice neck for the money (closer to £200 than £400 last time I looked), and I personally think they hold their own against their Epiphone equivalents.

• Like 1