EdwardMarlowe

Blues Cube v Award Session Blues Baby v ?

I should say from the off I've never been a valve purist... tbh, one of the reasons I lost interest in another guitar based forum was the luddite behaviour of most of the participants when it came to anything 'new' (I remember one particularly shameful thread where those who considered themselves True Musicians fell over themsleves to be the first to sneer "enjoy your toy, it's not a real guitar" anytime anyone admitted to buying  a Variax). That said.... about a decade ago, I bought one of the original Vox Valvetronix 120VT jobs - the top of the line, AC30 sized one. With the 212 extension cab, and the VC12 foot controller. As it turn out, I've only ever used the amp itself, never the foot controller (it's literally never been used, though I always meant to...), or the extension cab. Mostly I use the amp set to its 2x1w. It sounds great.... but I only ever use one sound. It rather feels like the amp is wasted on me. Indeed, I'd probably have sold it already if they were still in production (you know, the old fear of selling off something that you later regret but can't replace... Funnily enough, I've never actually had any regret about anything I've sold, but I still fear it far too much. Part, I suspect, of a wider hoarding problem I've been dealing with...). What I really want is a nice little amp, something tweedy and about thirty watts, with a master volume. But I really don't want to be bothered with traditional tubes.

The Roland Blues Cube - the small one, the Hot(?) looks like a go-er. I'm also impressed with what I've seen / heard of the Award Session Blues Baby - considering the kit version of that with a speaker and pine cab from Watford Valves. The other option is perhaps one of the Vox MV50 AC miniheads, with a 2x12" or 1x12" tweed cab. I've got a nagging instinct that the AS is what would be my best option, though it seems to be impossible to try one out without gonig to Basingstoke... Hmn.

No need for anything huge volume wise... chances are if I was ever to play out again (now I'm 45 and still fairly crap, I've long resigned myself to the fact I'll never be the next Hendrix, nor will I in all likelihood ever be part of a cult punkabilly band that will release one, sought-after, legendary 7" of the quality of Brand New Cadillac) I'd be using some sort of preamp pedal into a pa anyhow, so I'm not looking for a gigging workhorse.

Curious to hear the experiences / opinions of other folks who've been in the same boat, and what you picked up on. I've long been somewhat bemused that most amp makers seem to assume that if you're open to digital you want soem sort of do it all package, rather than one, good sound...

I tried a Blues Cub against a Fender Superchamp some years back. It was a very close run thing, but I went with the Fender because of my preference for the drive channel (IIRC). However, it was very tight and if I’m trying a guitar now and they have the Roland in stock, I’ll always use one. If the model you’re looking at has the plug in module option, it would be a no brainer for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ezbass said:

I tried a Blues Cub against a Fender Superchamp some years back. It was a very close run thing, but I went with the Fender because of my preference for the drive channel (IIRC). However, it was very tight and if I’m trying a guitar now and they have the Roland in stock, I’ll always use one. If the model you’re looking at has the plug in module option, it would be a no brainer for me.

AFAIK, the 30w Hot doesn't have that option, but I am intrigued by the concept. I remember trying a Cube (non-blues) some years ago and being well impressed with the COSM sound, though. Thanks.

not played either of those but our guitarist has one of the early Sessionette 75's with the retro tone upgrade and it's a really great sounding amp, incredibly loud but a great sound, from what i've read the blues baby should be equally good but not as loud.

Matt

• Like 1

I just wish I could try one - everyone I hear of who has tried them with an open mind seems to rave about them. If I ever gig again, I could definitely see gonig that way, unless I instesd went the whole hog and used an amp-sim pedal.... (which is fine unl;ess you have no monitors, I suppose).