ezbass

Gibson Les Paul Vs Vintage Lemondrop.

Gibson Les Paul Vs Vintage Lemondrop  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which one floated your boat?

• Vintage
    • Gibson

I kind of wanted it to be the Vintage (we do like an "underdog", us Brits) but the Gibbo just edged it for me.

Whether the very minor difference is worth the difference in price is another question entirely. If I was looking for a Les Paul (which I'm not because I'm actually trying to sell one - shameless plug alert!) then i would seriously look at the Vintage. Their basses get a lot of love so well worth a look IMHO

In all truth I listened to the whole thing wanting the Vintage to be the better sounding one, but thinking 'oh noes, I'll have to admit the Gibby wins.'

Then I discovered when they did the reveal I was completely wrong - the one I thought was the Gibby, and preferred, was the Vintage. To be fair to both, it really was a case of which sound I preferred rather than one or the other being qualitatively superior.

Interesting time for me to be thinking about this: when I first moved to London, I bought myself a new (made in 1998) Epi LP Std, in a configuration which would nowadays be the "Plus" version. I've resisted the idea of selling it for years as it's a particularly nice (and left handed) one, but I just don't play it any more.... I'm just *so* *over* Les Pauls.... I do know that were I to be buying a new LP type nowadays, it'd probably be between one of the higher end Vintages and a Gordon Smith.

I'd love to play the two myself back to back and see how the Gibby and the Vintage compare as a playing experience. I'd also love to see what the Vintage factory could do given exactly the same base materials as the Gibson. Often the labour cost is not the only difference - though TBH my impression is that the quality of materials in the higher-end of the budget price range is much closer "the real thing" than was the case back in the early 90s.

Well, bugger me.

I had a similar experience to Mr Marlowe above: I assumed that the sound I preferred was the Gibson. I was really quite surprised when it turned out I'd enjoyed the Vintage more.

There wasn't a great deal between them, though: listening to the two neck pickups on a clean setting, I honestly thought I was struggle to hear much difference at all. It was only when the bridge pickup got involved, I preferred the slightly deeper, fuller sound of the one on the Vintage. The Gibson one just sounded a bit tinny to my ears, particularly in the middle position, where it didn't seem to complement the neck pickup as well as on the Vintage.

• Like 1

Which makes me wonder....

Surely the ultimate test would be to swtich the electronics out of each guitar and out them, wholesale, in the other one. The Gibson with the vintage guts in in would be particularly interesting - would a blindfold test have a player find it a "downgrade"? How different are the non-electronic differences with exactly the same wiring, switches, pots, pups? That would, surely, be the ultimate test of the differences as thats' the bit you can't just buy and 'upgrade' aftermarket...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

Which makes me wonder....

Surely the ultimate test would be to swtich the electronics out of each guitar and out them, wholesale, in the other one. The Gibson with the vintage guts in in would be particularly interesting - would a blindfold test have a player find it a "downgrade"? How different are the non-electronic differences with exactly the same wiring, switches, pots, pups? That would, surely, be the ultimate test of the differences as thats' the bit you can't just buy and 'upgrade' aftermarket...

I’ve always been a firm believer that the biggest tonal differences are to me made with the transducers in the signal chain (pickups and speakers), so this would be very interesting indeed.

• Like 1