Wylie

Humbucker replacement--worth the cost?

I recently bought an Epi 339 from an online dealer and was disappointed with the sound of its humbuckers, esp. the neck pickup, which has no distinctive qualities--none. I was hoping for a softer, rounder tone reflecting the higher placement. Now, I realize buying online was a mistake, but I did it after scouring the countryside here in Vermont for a jazz-type guitar.

My question: Should I replace the pickup? Can I expect it to make a substantial difference, or is the 339 limited in ways that would make a replacement superfluous? I have in mind the Duncan SH1-b '59 model. Sells for $99, which I would gladly pay if improvement was substantial. I should add, I tried changing to flatwounds, and this also failed to help.

My experience till now has been with acoustic guitars and the bass I currently play with a jazz trio, so I need your help!

Thanks.

Wylie

19 hours ago, ezbass said:

A pickup replacement/upgrade is always worth it IMO, it’s the one biggest change you can make. I’ve done this many times and only once did I not notice an appreciable difference (a PRS SE Singlecut). If you like the way the 339 plays, I say go for it.

Thanks, EZ. I do like the way it plays, so I will go for the upgrade.

41 minutes ago, Musicman210 said:

Look on the creamery website. Jaime makes amazing handwound pickups. My jazzmaster cij replacements are second to non. Turned an average sounding guitar into the nicest jazzmaster I've ever heard

Thanks, man!

• Thanks 1

On 28/09/2019 at 09:06, ezbass said:

Cheaper than buying the Gibson version. Keep us posted on the outcome.

The outcome was--zilch. Replaced the crap pickup with a Seymour Duncan and the outcome was a barely marginal improvement. Never again will I buy a cheap guitar and expect it to do what it isn't designed to do, so it is my fault. I expected some mellowness in the neck PU and got nothing, even with the new SD. Total waste of money.

17 hours ago, Wylie said:

The outcome was--zilch. Replaced the crap pickup with a Seymour Duncan and the outcome was a barely marginal improvement. Never again will I buy a cheap guitar and expect it to do what it isn't designed to do, so it is my fault. I expected some mellowness in the neck PU and got nothing, even with the new SD. Total waste of money.

Well that’s annoying. Maybe the loom and its switching pots are robbing it of tone.

19 hours ago, ezbass said:

Well that’s annoying. Maybe the loom and its switching pots are robbing it of tone.

Don't know; but the work was done by a luthier I've known for years, and trust. So I think I will just live with it.

On 23/10/2019 at 21:34, Wylie said:

Pickup was an SD '59 model SH1-b. Just the neck pickup.

What were you looking to achieve?  If you want a woodier tone, a PAF might have been a better option.  I have Armstrong PAFs in my Yammie MSG and they are great - 80 quid a pop too.