GuyR

Telecasters

I have a couple currently, a 2004 Fender Japan 62 Reissue and a heavily modified Fenix copy (photo is from about 10 years ago - I've replaced the bridge since then). In the past I owned a JD signature model and Francis Rossi Signature model (wish I hadn't sold that!).

I do have plans to build a Rick Parfitt replica as well.

Andy

DSCF4730.JPG

Frankenstein_Early2000s.jpg

Edited by backwater
  • Like 1

On 22/02/2020 at 08:31, ezbass said:

I replaced the body on my CV again, as I fancied a more classic look and I’ve always been a sucker for a bound body.

5A297A9E-96B4-49DC-9F26-C11E3490E1BC.jpeg

How much of this is oiginal - just the neck? Looks great.  My current "wants list" has a 50s CV Tele on it because I want to rewire it as a Broadcaster. If I could manage another, I'd be consdering rewiring it as an Esquier. Always thought it a shame Squier don't do a Squier Esquier.

5 hours ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

How much of this is oiginal - just the neck? Looks great.  My current "wants list" has a 50s CV Tele on it because I want to rewire it as a Broadcaster. If I could manage another, I'd be consdering rewiring it as an Esquier. Always thought it a shame Squier don't do a Squier Esquier.

Neck, tuners, neck plate, scratchplate, control plate, knobs and pots. I still have the original pickups in a drawer, they were really not bad in the slightest, but the DiMarzios are a massive upgrade.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

If I could manage another, I'd be consdering rewiring it as an Esquier. Always thought it a shame Squier don't do a Squier Esquier.

Squier did an esquire earlier this year : https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/squier-ltd-edition-cv-50s-esquire-butterscotch-blonde

Gets good reviews - I thought about it but I've already got two telecasters set up as esquires.

Andy

• Thanks 1

On 28/08/2020 at 15:30, ezbass said:

Neck, tuners, neck plate, scratchplate, control plate, knobs and pots. I still have the original pickups in a drawer, they were really not bad in the slightest, but the DiMarzios are a massive upgrade.

Thanks, sounds cool.

Next time I change pickups on anything, I'm very tempted to go over to the GFS Kwik-plug system, give the option of switching between a couple of options.

On 29/08/2020 at 08:32, backwater said:

Squier did an esquire earlier this year : https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/squier-ltd-edition-cv-50s-esquire-butterscotch-blonde

Gets good reviews - I thought about it but I've already got two telecasters set up as esquires.

Andy

Oh! Lovely, but....

On 29/08/2020 at 09:54, leftybassman392 said:

Looks nice, but no lefties sadly. Ho hum...:/

Yeah, same issue for me. Ironically, thisl ooks like the same price as the CV50s Tele, so buying a used one of them and converting seems the closest option. I looked at the MIM version  a few years ago ,but same issue - no lefties.

Always seems a shame to me Fender don't make more of the Esquier. For a player looking forf something really stripped down, it's arguably evne more utilitarian than an LP Junior.

On 19/08/2018 at 07:58, backwater said:

I have a couple currently, a 2004 Fender Japan 62 Reissue and a heavily modified Fenix copy (photo is from about 10 years ago - I've replaced the bridge since then). In the past I owned a JD signature model and Francis Rossi Signature model (wish I hadn't sold that!).

I do have plans to build a Rick Parfitt replica as well.

Andy

DSCF4730.JPG

Frankenstein_Early2000s.jpg

Was your Francis Rossi a Fender model? I remember back in the days when Tanglewood were known as a budget guitar company and did more electrics as well, they did a Quomaster model which was an officially recognised nod to Rossi's green Tele. I've seen 'em selling used since with both a Tele style headstock and something vaguely Strat shaped that end. (Also seen used one in a burst, bound body that apparently came from the same series). Supposed to be well worth picking up if you find one, though I've seen them sell for anywhere from £100 to £275; I think they were just sub £200 originally. TW of course now have moved almost entirely in the direction of acoustics, and have everything from budget to fairly high end (production) guitars there. 

On 22/02/2020 at 07:26, Si600 said:

Just a standard Squier from me. I got it to go mad with modifying it but I've changed my mind so either nothing, or a refin to natural, depending on what the body wood looks like under the paint.

On 25/06/2021 at 12:25, andy67 said:

Does anyone have an affinity tele with a string through body?

No direct experience myself, but I had a friend had one years ago. After a couple of what were then considered beginner guitars (a bolt on Epi LP 100, swapped for a Vintage (as in JHS, not age) SG which was an outstanding guitar, laughably good for what they go for, he went looking for a Tele. (Clapton fan, worked backward from Cream...). He tried a few in the shop, from MIM through the Squiers and ended up with an Affinity in blonde. Lovely guitar, genuinely good, all questions of money aside. My experience of that end of Squier is that the Teles tend to be the sleepers. Less to go wring than on a Strat, plus the budget isn't being stretched to as much body shaping, a third pickup, a trem, and so on, so the money 'goes further'. You do get the occasional sharp fret and such; I think the trick is to try as many as possible and you'll find a good one that way. (Not that I've ever played one that was horribly bad, but as with anything at that end of the market QC isn't quite as strict as it would be spending five times the amount.) 

Being as Joe Strummer's birthday was over the weekend (in a just world, he'd have been sixty-nine this year, and Van Morrison would have rfotted away to nothing by now)....

Joe's number one: 

strummer_1966_fender-telecaster-featured.jpg?w=768&h=384

The rust is apparently from it being inadvertently left in his barn for a few months after Joes died so suddenly. 

Less well know, Joe's #3 Tele in the Clash days: 

blond.jpg

And Joe's #2, a white Esquier: 

holiday.jpg

Fender have recently done a Custom Shop version of this one: 

Fender Custom Shop Limited Edition Joe Strummer Esquire Relic Masterbuilt by Jason Smith

A snip at fourteen GRAND. Which seems a bit odd... I've seen it get razored for that online, but given the money is going either to Joe's family or Strummerville, why not do an LE run if there are those who can afford it... All done and said, it wouldn't be hard to do a partsocaster version, which is probably more in Joe's spirit anyhow. Fun thing I noticed was they've ditched the Cuba sticker, guess that didn't sit easy with the American capitalists making this one. I think even Joe would have had a wry chuckle at that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lastly, a couple of shots of my own Tele. Of all the guitars I own, this is the one that found me rather than me going looking for it. Although in many ways I still think of myself as a Strat man, this is the guitar I'd life on the way out of a burning building. (Then I recall Rory Gallagher's number one was not the famous Strat but a Tele as well. Maybe it's an Irish thing...) 

This is a 71RI Crafted in Japan Fender Telecaster that I bought new in 2006 (photos from around then; it has since developed a bit of a gouge in the cutaway that I may or may not have touched-up eventually, can't fully decide). Got that big, but clear, punk rock sound like Steve Jones' 'Bollocks' 72 LP Custom that I tried to find in a Gibson LP style for years (but they all sounded like mud in my hands).  I can see two more Teles in my future... when time / money allow, I'm keen on a pair of Squier CV 50s Teles, one to be rewired as a Broadcaster, one as an Esquier. For the latter, I *might* instead pick up a good Squier Affinity Tele, and switch out the bridge and pup... 

Uploaded041206RockyRichmondandTe-1.jpg

Uploaded041206RockyRichmondandTelec.jpg

• Like 3

On 23/08/2021 at 09:49, EdwardMarlowe said:

Was your Francis Rossi a Fender model? I remember back in the days when Tanglewood were known as a budget guitar company and did more electrics as well, they did a Quomaster model which was an officially recognised nod to Rossi's green Tele. I've seen 'em selling used since with both a Tele style headstock and something vaguely Strat shaped that end. (Also seen used one in a burst, bound body that apparently came from the same series). Supposed to be well worth picking up if you find one, though I've seen them sell for anywhere from £100 to £275; I think they were just sub £200 originally. TW of course now have moved almost entirely in the direction of acoustics, and have everything from budget to fairly high end (production) guitars there. 

Sorry,

Missed your reply. Yes, mine was a Fender one. It looked like Rossi's guitar from a distance but the accuracy was low - front was satin green paint rather than stained, back was gloss black, "lace" pickups were basic strat pickups with no holes in the cover, bridge was OK but nowhere near the G&L. I got a good discount on it due to a big chip in the finish but didnt bond with it.

I remember playing the tanglewood Quomasters when they were still available new, they were good guitars. Never owned one though. There was a Parfitt styled one as well.

Andy

RossiTele07.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1