Slashton

Changing Strings Beginner

Hi all, 

I have just tried to change my guitar strings and removed the original strings, its a les paul copy 2 epiphone, and the 'bridge' (not too sure if thats the correct word) is completely loose and can slip right out. I will insert pictures. And another piece can also come out. I wasnt sure whether or not to tighten it in case it wasnt right to do so. As I'm sure it is obvious from the title and lack of knowledge that I'm a beginner so please don't judge lol! XD 

Screenshot_20190817-125431_Messenger.jpg

You’re fine, these things are held on/down by string tension, next time you change strings, do them one at a time.

I would point out, however, that the height of the stop tail should be low enough to create a decent break angle behind the tune-a-matic bridge, in the same way the headstock creates a break angle behind the nut.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Slashton said:

Thank you for the reply! And I am unsure as to what you mean by the second bit - dummy language is appreciated as I am not clued up on terminology lol :)

In answer to your question, YouTube is often your friend here, given that a picture paints a 1000 words, etc. Here’s a link to one, I’m not saying it’s the best, it’s just seems short and to the point, but you could also check out Gibson’s own LP set up measurements, there’s bound to be a set up guide on their website.

Ah yes, Gibson/Epiphone style bridges are great fun - you should see their infamous "three-point" bass bridge, which literally falls to pieces if you turn it over with the strings off!

In the case of the Les Paul, the actual "bridge" part is the bit in the middle (so closest to the pickup), and the bit that goes right at the back is usually called the tail-piece, or stop-tail. The break angle is the angle that the string makes between the two - basically you want the tail-piece to sit lower than the bridge, so that it's pulling the ends of the strings down towards the body.