ezbass

Optima Vintageflex

Just wanted to share a little discovery I made. I've been playing my Epi EJ200 a fair bit lately, but I found that the Elixirs that I had on there were making my fingers tired and any string bending (especially the G) was a Herculean task. Therefore, I did a bit of research and discovered Optima Vintageflex, low, equal tension strings. I just fitted a set of 11-47s and they're great, easy on the fingers and easy to bend with just 19lbs (ish) on every string. There was a problem, however. You can buy these from Germany or the Netherlands, but both retailers want to send them via Fedex at a cost more than the strings themselves! I contacted Optima and they replied saying the UK distributor would be in touch, that was two weeks ago and so far, nothing. In the meantime, I ordered a set from Strings By Mail in the US for $20.73 including carriage, as opposed to €25.99 from Europe. This means that a set of strings that were manufactured in Germany, sent to the US and then sent to the UK are cheaper than a set which just went 'up the road' to a European retailer and thence to the UK. Madness!

Anyway, if you've been struggling with acoustic guitar string tension, give them a go.