Layla

Snow rhcp?

10 hours ago, Layla said:

Do you reckon snow would be a good audition song for a music college? 

Thanks

I guess it depends what you're trying to demonstrate at the audition and what the assessors are likely to be looking for.

Hopefully, those two things are the same and Snow may be the perfect vehicle for you to demonstrate them.....

Thanks, yeah well it’s for music performance course

would you consider snow to be easy or hard to play? I just wonder as I’m not sure what people’s opinions are of that song 

I love it but its quite repetitive I’m not sure if they would be impressed by it

It's not the hardest song in the world so it definitely doesn't show off your guitar virtuoso skills. And i think the strength of the original is in the whole arrangement - replicating that in a solo performance might be hard.

That said, if this is a musical performance course and not specifically a guitar course, you don't need to show that you're a guitar hero, you need to demonstrate that you can, er, perform. So is this song a good vehicle for you to do that?

Personally, I'm not sure - there's not much in the way of dynamics going on, the words are sung in a very "stream-of-consciousness" way and I think it would be hard to do a straight copy of the RHCP version as a solo performance but also hard to do your own arrangement in a way that really adds anything.

I don't think you need a difficult song (from the guitar perspective) so much as one that showcases your ability to arrange effectively and give a performance. That suggests a song with strong dynamics and with a vocal that you can put some feeling into (without going all over the top Mariah Carey-stylee, that is 😀).

If you're confident you can do Snow in a way that brings something new to it and which shows you off at your best then go for it. That would impress me.

But i think it's a big ask and there may be better choices - but you have to give the performance so it has to be your choice.

I know that's probably no help at all but good luck whatever you decide to do!