Wylie

Epiphone ES 339

The Epi 339 runs about $499 here in the US, and is, in many respects, worth the money. The guitar is fairly light, sits comfortably on the knee for seated playing, looks great, and has no cosmetic flaws that I can see. The fretboard is beautifully done, and all hardware works well and looks right. However, the guitar has problems. First, the top pickup is a snoozer--just not much there. If you are a jazz player looking for some subtle tones out of that pickup, you will be disappointed (as I was). I strung mine with flats--didn't help. Second, the action was far too high for comfortable chording; my luthier adjusted the bridge and truss rod, but most importantly lowered (shaved and re-slotted) the nut, which was too high and contributing much to the high action. 

It may be that I expected too much from this guitar. I bought it from an online retailer after looking in vain for weeks locally (we're pretty rural here); if I had played it before buying, I probably would not have bought it; after all, with the cost of the luthier and more cost for a new pickup, I will have spent up into a different quality of guitar.

• Sad 1