shron7

problem with my guitar

Hey guys, first of all my english is not very good so be patient with me

I have an ltd ec256, i changed my neck pickup to SD jazz, but every once in a while he stops working. when i switch to the neck pickup and play with distortion i hear only filthy clean sound instead of bright distorted sound, So i checked the connections of the pickup and the selector switch with a multimeter and it's seems ok. 

iv'e also checked the pickup output and it's 0 ohms,  so i sprayed some contact cleaner in the selector switch, and the problem solved. i checked with the multimeter the output and now it was 14.53 ohms(reasonable).

but now It happened again, same problem, i suspect that the selector switch causes the problem .

If there was no problem with the original neck pickup then the chances are that something went wrong when the new one was installed, probably a bad or faulty connection with one of the volume/tone pots or you somehow accidentally damaged the selector while you connecting everything up.

Sometimes a problem like this is best solved by taking the guitar to an experienced guitar tech who has got the experience to quickly diagnose the issue.

If it's reading 0 ohms then I'd be surprised if it was the switch - I would have expected an infinite or open circuit value if that were the case. Personally as you're reading a 0 or short circuit on the meter, I'd be more inclined to to suspect that a signal wire is touching earth somewhere - for a example, a single strand of wire that not been soldered with the other wires and is intermittently touching something that is earthed.

I checked the wires again and i saw that the green wire is touching the black wire(hot) so after i moved it a little, everything is fine and i get 7.25 ohms on the multimeter , i will put a piece of electrical tape to isolate the wires, thank you for the answers