ribbetingfrog

Show us your Harley Bentons

1 hour ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

Hey, if there's ever an android replica of Jimi's fingers - or, hell, at that Link Wray's! - I'll happily have my own organic ones chopped off to upgrade! 😛 

OK, it's not all in the fingers. The Little Grey Cells play a part, too. -_-

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And here it is!!! Set up is lovely, and it was practically in tune (I will have to get used to the locking tuners). Frets feel like a tiny polish on top needed, but playing in will deal with that. Neck is gorgeous, and I love the firemist colour. Either a very, very almost imperceptibly tiny ding on the headstock, or a miniscule imperfection on the headstock finish, but that's the sort of thing it'd get in a few days' use with me, so.... Overall, a stunning piece. The gig bag is surprising good, much higher quality than I expected, and the 25th logo inside it is a nice touch. 

Highly recommended. I still hope they do 5his soec in the CC colours going forward, as a DLX model. 

20230913_170705.jpg

20230913_165805.jpg

20230913_165803.jpg

20230913_165738.jpg

20230913_165729.jpg

20230913_165707.jpg

20230913_165701.jpg

20230913_165315.jpg

20230913_165503.jpg

• Like 4

For what it's worth, I did make my own Harley Benton in the past, with a kit like this:

https://thmn.to/thoprod/115992?offid=1&affid=1771

It's really cool to make and I gotta say you learn a lot by building your own guitar.

And tbh the quality of HBs now are insane for the price... I'd recommend that to anyone who wants to start or needs a cheap guitar on the side (travel etc).

It's not Fender quality of course, but it's still pretty, pretty good

• Like 2

20 hours ago, sundayguitar said:

For what it's worth, I did make my own Harley Benton in the past, with a kit like this:

https://thmn.to/thoprod/115992?offid=1&affid=1771

It's really cool to make and I gotta say you learn a lot by building your own guitar.

And tbh the quality of HBs now are insane for the price... I'd recommend that to anyone who wants to start or needs a cheap guitar on the side (travel etc).

It's not Fender quality of course, but it's still pretty, pretty good

Yeah, was just saying this to a guy on the Facebook HB owners' group page. He's done all sorts of mods to his TEs - basically treated them as buying a neck and a body pre-attached. Even if that's all you use from the original, it compares very well to the likes of Warmoth imo, and you can probably put some very nice guts in it without spending more than the difference. I think last I looked the necks I was interested in on Warmoth were alone well over the cost of a TE52 or the likes. 

• Like 1

On 04/12/2023 at 16:36, EdwardMarlowe said:

Yeah, was just saying this to a guy on the Facebook HB owners' group page. He's done all sorts of mods to his TEs - basically treated them as buying a neck and a body pre-attached. Even if that's all you use from the original, it compares very well to the likes of Warmoth imo, and you can probably put some very nice guts in it without spending more than the difference. I think last I looked the necks I was interested in on Warmoth were alone well over the cost of a TE52 or the likes. 

That's a good point really. At those costs, you can upgrade all the hardware and electronics if you want to, and get some good experience at the same time.

I have looked at the HB but don't have one myself. Do you get people turn their noses up when you bring one out or are people a bit more accepting during our times of austerity?

• Like 2

On 06/12/2023 at 14:28, randythoades said:

That's a good point really. At those costs, you can upgrade all the hardware and electronics if you want to, and get some good experience at the same time.

I have looked at the HB but don't have one myself. Do you get people turn their noses up when you bring one out or are people a bit more accepting during our times of austerity?

It's a very long time since I played out anywhere, so can't comment on direct experience. I suspect were I to be a gigger, the average punter wouldn't notice. It'd be interesting to get an impression from players who do but don't know the brand before... Online, views seem to be split between those who've played them and think they're very decent for the money, putting them up against Vintage (by JHS), Squier CV, Fender player Series... directly, and as "upgradeable" to hold their own against much more - and on the other hand. those rubbishing them because 'Made in China + racist idiot', or a refusal to believe anything cheap could be good. I've yet to see anyone from the latter group who'd actually played one... 

FWIW, though, while I can't comment directly on experience with HB, I tend to find musicians who actually play out for a living are vastly more open minded about instruments, and themselves vastly more likely to be playing "budget" gear. The gearsnobs I've encountered have almost exclusively been comfortably-off hobby players, or sometimes guys in originals bands who sneer at anyone who plays covers, and are bitter that "wedding bands" can make a living while nobody wants to hear their obscure prog originals.... :D 

• Like 1

On 29/12/2023 at 23:45, sundayguitar said:

I'm really amazed by this HB collection. It's kinda off topic, but they also have multi fx now:

Harley Benton DNAfx GiT https://thmn.to/thoprod/478040?offid=1&affid=1771

And they don't seem to worse than an ampero or something similar. Crazy times

I'm loving this all. For years I've wanted something very much like that for plugging in headphones or hooking up to the PC at home. I've not bought anything as yet because I'm not really interested in most of the potential they have - years ago, I bought a Vox Valvetronix (still got it). The original, blue cloth one, size of an AC30, 2x12. Thing is I only ever used one amp model, and I don't bother with the built in effects. Something like this, though, I might be more inclined towards as at that price, as long as the sound I want is good, it doesn't matter so much more of it is "wasted".... 

• Like 3

On 16/01/2024 at 01:19, EdwardMarlowe said:

I'm loving this all. For years I've wanted something very much like that for plugging in headphones or hooking up to the PC at home. I've not bought anything as yet because I'm not really interested in most of the potential they have - years ago, I bought a Vox Valvetronix (still got it). The original, blue cloth one, size of an AC30, 2x12. Thing is I only ever used one amp model, and I don't bother with the built in effects. Something like this, though, I might be more inclined towards as at that price, as long as the sound I want is good, it doesn't matter so much more of it is "wasted".... 

And to be fair, even something like that - while not AMAZING, let's be honest - is still very decent for the price !!
https://thmn.to/thoprod/372283?offid=1&affid=1771

• Like 2

On 19/01/2024 at 16:38, sundayguitar said:

And to be fair, even something like that - while not AMAZING, let's be honest - is still very decent for the price !!
https://thmn.to/thoprod/372283?offid=1&affid=1771

Dang it man, your right at PRICE POINT for what it is and does for a home Guitarist, in my searches I have seen worse, at higher prices. I copied, it warrants further investigation 

3 hours ago, tele-strat owner said:

Dang it man, your right at PRICE POINT for what it is and does for a home Guitarist, in my searches I have seen worse, at higher prices. I copied, it warrants further investigation 

Go for it... GET IT, you know you want it :D

• Like 1

I've got two HBs.  

The first is a gorgeous Telecaster clone which oddly has two humbuckers and a trem.  Thing is, I HATED it when I got it.  Scratchy frets, neck not right.  Awful.  It was the guitar that finally made me learn to adjust a truss rod.  I polished the frets, straightened out the neck a bit and oddly it's become my favourite guitar.  I like it a lot more than the actual real Telecaster I used to own.

I also got a CST-24 Hollow Body.  Which is basically their PRS rip off guitar.  It's horrid.  It looks nice but it's on eBay as we speak.