guitar_joe

Are the prices negotiable on expensive guitars?!

I'm thinking of buying a brand new, expensive guitar, that is listed for around 3500$ on the dealer's site. Now I'm wondering, are prices in this range absolutely final in Europe or there is a little room for haggling? If I ask them if they could sell it for, say, 3300, would they tell me to go f myself? It's a mass-produced guitar that is available at several dealers for pretty much the same price. I'm OK paying the full price, but if it's possible to get a discount (without burning the bridge with the dealer for good), I would not mind at all. :D I know that asking for a deal is the norm over the pond, in the Land of The Free, but not sure about it in EU.

On 26/04/2019 at 19:13, guitar_joe said:

I'm thinking of buying a brand new, expensive guitar, that is listed for around 3500$ on the dealer's site. Now I'm wondering, are prices in this range absolutely final in Europe or there is a little room for haggling? If I ask them if they could sell it for, say, 3300, would they tell me to go f myself? It's a mass-produced guitar that is available at several dealers for pretty much the same price. I'm OK paying the full price, but if it's possible to get a discount (without burning the bridge with the dealer for good), I would not mind at all. :D I know that asking for a deal is the norm over the pond, in the Land of The Free, but not sure about it in EU.

I'm from the UK and I always phone the shop and ask them in person what "the best price' is on anything I buy. As long as you're polite and friendly about it then they should be too. 

• Like 1

A lot depends on the store and the guitar. Most places I've managed to walk away with 10-15% off, or, if the guitar was already on sale, a significant discount on a hardcase (not all come with one - in fact, I'veo nly every bought one guitar where it came as standar, but I'm not a high-end buyer). Basically, I fidn it doesn't hurt to ask. I would definitely ask for a 'cash price', i.e. if you're paying straight up rather than putting it on a credit card, they might offer a discount on the basis of not paying cc fees.