Wylie

Ibanez jazz guitars

I am interested in the Ibanez line of jazz guitars. I was impressed by a video demo of the Artcore AS73 (produced by Yandas Music). If anyone has experience of any of this line, I'd like to hear your thoughts on quality, price--whatever impressed you (or turned you away).

Thanks.

Wylie

I was looking for a good mid-level semi hollow so I was thinking of getting an Artcore as well. Great VFM and some really sensible design improvements... Unfortunately, I couldn’t find any models above the AS73, so my search ended with shelling out for a 1981 MIJ AS100.

It’s the prettiest sounding guitar I’ve ever heard and it plays beautifully. It was also twice the amount I initially wanted to spend, so be warned. 😆

I've never had the opportunity to try a left-handed one, so my playing experience of these is limited, however.... Ibanez do seem to make a very nice budget semi indeed. If memory serves, the ones I've seen were all at least as good as the better equivalent Epiphones, even if a bit cheaper.  In a funny sort of way, they're much more representative of the sort of guitar Ibanez started making when they were another Japanese copyist / better than the by then lazy real thing outfit like Tokai in the late 70s / early eighties. Not as nice as the 5xxx series Gretsches, but half the price.

I always recollect Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown played an Ibanez 3x5alike in preference to a Gibson (I believe he was an endorsee, but unlike some where they'll pull the guitar out for a couple of numbers then switch to what they prefer, he played his exclusively from what I saw, at least).