jazzyvee

10" vs 12" guitar speakers what's the pros and cons.

I have honestly never thought about speaker size when buying guitar cabs and have just gone with how the cab sounds and performs. I know that amongst bass players there seems to be a strong preference on speaker size with some staunch advocates for 10, 12 or 15" speakers. I'm thinking of getting rid of my heavy guitar combos and going for a separate head and speaker but something smaller but still with a great powerful sound. Is there any real life on stage benefit tone wise between 10 and 12" speakers these days.  Not so much between manufacturers but just in terms of the speaker size as I'm hoping that there is a lightweight solution.

Edited by jazzyvee

There are so many variables viz: porting; cab size; voicing; efficiency; etc, that it’s probably best just to use your ears.

I used to use 4x10” speakers in my bass rig, then 2x12, now I use 10x5. All have been tone and weight decisions.

The best sounding guitar amp/combo I ever had was a Fender ‘59 Bassman reissue, a 4x10, small, open backed enclosure (loved those Jensen Blues).

Edited by ezbass