Silvia Bluejay

We need a 'LEFTIES' forum on GC too.

I'd like that very much. The only downside of being a left-handed player (apart from all the MORONS who like to claim the guitar "isn't a handed instrument" and such tripe) is when you read reviews of something that looks exactly what you're after.... and then inevitably it's not available left handed at all, or only in the crap colours (I'm so, so, so over black, white and burst....). Useful to have a resource where we can pool information on thatsort of thing - especially with Holiday music, it seems, now a thing of the past. 

Better for lefties now than at anytime  can remember, though - Fender have improved a thousand fold, some brands like Godin who did *no* lefties have started, and there's the likes of Eastwood making stuff that was previously no chance actually available left handed. 

• Like 1

On 15/05/2022 at 13:23, EdwardMarlowe said:

I've heard a lot of people say that. All of them  were right handed. ;)

True, but tell me what a LH player would gain from a specific thread? Genuine question.

31 minutes ago, mikel said:

True, but tell me what a LH player would gain from a specific thread? Genuine question.

Having all yer leads going the wrong way is a good start. Positioning pedals when you play so the lead isn't across your body all the time and tripping you. The design of so many products and playing spaces that assume a right-handed norm - it goes way further than simply  a choice of limited models in the crap colours. 

8 minutes ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

Having all yer leads going the wrong way is a good start. Positioning pedals when you play so the lead isn't across your body all the time and tripping you. The design of so many products and playing spaces that assume a right-handed norm - it goes way further than simply  a choice of limited models in the crap colours. 

What is this 'lead' of which you speak..?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

It'd also clear us out of all yer threads with our "but it's not available for ussssssss!" chorus. Which I'd have thought a bonus... 

;) 

Would you then be reading both leftie and rightie topics, then, or missing out on the rightie stuff..? We would be reading both, too, so would still see the 'it's not available to us..!' stuff, but just in a different topic. Hmm... 

Disclaimer : I'm rightie, but play drums 'leftie'. I don't have any issues reading drum forums.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Thanks 1

On 18/05/2022 at 11:29, Dad3353 said:

What is this 'lead' of which you speak..?

Ha! Thissort of thing is voodoo, and I shall have no truck with it! 

Actually, my own solution has long been careful placement of amp and/or pedals, and increasingly not using pedals much if at all! :D

• Thanks 1

On 18/05/2022 at 11:31, Dad3353 said:

Would you then be reading both leftie and rightie topics, then, or missing out on the rightie stuff..? We would be reading both, too, so would still see the 'it's not available to us..!' stuff, but just in a different topic. Hmm... 

Disclaimer : I'm rightie, but play drums 'leftie'. I don't have any issues reading drum forums.

Ah, now... define 'forum'.... I was thinking we were speaking of a specific area within this page rather than a whole different forum, as such? 

Right handed stuff, it depends. There's a huge amount of commonality, obvs, though when any new guitar is discussed, experience has taught me to check whether it's available left handed or not before I absorb the details. Been disappointed once too often on that score. 

I've yet to see anything left handed that isn't a left handed rendering of a standard right handed guitar, though. It'd be interesting to see something that was  exclusively left handed,  even a unique color or something of that nature, but I can't imagine there being a business case for it. 

I've always had half a notion, though, of tracking down one of those Strats Fender did back when, was it the Voodoo model? Basically a left hander set up right handed, with a mirror-image decal. If it wasn't crazy money, I'd love to pick up one of those and set it up as a left hander.