burno70

Beginner fingerpicking songs

I've been learning to play a six string acoustic over the last 8 months or so and really love it. I'm playing purely finger picking style.

Any recommendations for nice (beginnery) guitar fingerpicking songs - whatever genre, don't mind. So far I've learned Fast Car, Is anybody out there and Babe I'm gonna leave you.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Finger picking huh ?,    as a bass player I keep my finger nails  really short,    so I use a plectrum when I "play" a guitar    are you usin your nails to pick the strings ?, sort of flamenco style? .  And no,  I don't have a clue what songs to recommend,  sorry. 

16 hours ago, tauzero said:

Annie's Song. Time after Time (Eva Cassidy version). Kiss from a rose (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPGg-zLDta4)

Good choices. You could also try Fields of Gold in the Eva Cassidy version (bit harder but worth the effort IMHO). The early section of Stairway to Heaven is very straightforward too; whether you'll want to learn it is another matter of course...

One thing you haven't mentioned is how much of a beginner you actually are. All the songs mentioned so far, whilst fairly straightforward, do require some degree of dexterity around the fretboard. If you're a complete beginner (as in 'still learning where everything is') then they will still look a bit tough.

Edited by leftybassman392

On 15/03/2019 at 18:51, MWH said:

Finger picking huh ?,    as a bass player I keep my finger nails  really short,    so I use a plectrum when I "play" a guitar    are you usin your nails to pick the strings ?, sort of flamenco style? .  And no,  I don't have a clue what songs to recommend,  sorry. 

My nails are short;  the attack isn't as bright as it wood be if you have long nails but it still sounds nice.

Thanks for the suggestions so far - Kiss from A Rose looks tough for where I'm at.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, burno70 said:

My nails are short;  the attack isn't as bright as it wood be if you have long nails but it still sounds nice.

Thanks for the suggestions so far - Kiss from A Rose looks tough for where I'm at.

I don't play the version that's on that Youtube video - it's the closest I could find to what I play, but my version is similar. I might even have a shot at learning that version...