Chiliwailer

What have you currenty got GAS for?

17 hours ago, Harryburke14 said:

Gibson ES325 or 339. I know I could go and get an Epi Sheraton or 339 Pro for cheap second hand, but the ultimate ambition is a full blown Gibson.

Maybe I'll get the Epi and save up til I've finished uni in 3 years and get a proper job.

I have a number of expensive “name brand” guitars and while they are fab, the biggest surprises in my collection are a 1991 Epiphone Sheraton which since being properly setup plays as well as my R9 Les Paul; it sounds almost as good, too.

... and a Squier JV strat which was professionally setup, and had new fifties style wiring and pickups (not my choice), strung with flatwounds. This is the guitar my band likes above my name guitars.

Both Guitars were “cheap” but both are amazing.

I have played some expensive guitars that were real dogs and not worth 1% of the asking price.  My advice would be shop around, play lots of the same model as they are all different, try to find second hand, preferably older second hand, don’t buy the first one you come across (it took thirty years to find my Les Paul). Then when you have found your new soulmate maybe get it setup professionally.  A good luthier can take a nice guitar and turn it into something amazing, I know the one I use does.

Anyway, enough rambling.  I hope you find your dream guitar and enjoy the journey!

Witters

Had the hots for a 335 for ages. Must be see through cherry red, not that pinky red solid finish you get on some Dot models. Now here’s the tricky bit -must have a large neck profile too, no skinnies allowed. Gibson have made some Custom Shop ones, which I can't afford, and did do a Fat Neck model a while ago but not in the right red. ATB Guitars in Cheltenham currently have a 64 block marker in which is nigh on perfect, apart from the price tag. Guess I’ll just have to keep looking.

• Like 1

For some reason I've got GAS for a Telecaster Deluxe, but with a normal size headstock instead of the oversized 70s one.

So like this but with a strat neck: https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/telecaster/fender-72-telecaster-deluxe-electric-guitar-black-maple-neck

I'm really tempted to make one (out of parts I mean, not from scratch - MIM Tele body, MIM strat neck maybe, I like doing the electrics anyway).

There is one guitar that I have some GAS for which is totally out of character because it is A] Vintage, B] Gibson, c] pointy and d] unobtainable..... Jimi's Black Angel custom flying Vee. Yeah, the actual one. Had a chance to play it (sadly not plugged in) once, and there was an undefinable yet undeniable magic in that thing. Normally hate Vs, but..... Not the only hero's guitar I ever got to handle, but the only one I could *play* (being a lefty). 

My GAS list is normally much less prosaic, focussing on stuff I can actually afford or might realistically buy, tbh - boring, I know. Currently it is:

1] Fender player Strat  - maple board tidepool

2] Fender player p bass - tidepool & maple

3] Gretsch 5210

4] Godin 5th Av Kingpin (the non-cutaway, one-pup version)

5] Eastwood Surfcaster 12 string or maybe the Reveleation Jazzmaster-style 12string

6] Eastwood Mandocaster 12

7] Fender Tim Armstong acoustic with the cat inlays. 

Amps-wise, the new Vox ABS-bodied bass amp, and the little nutube head, the AC version (clean is too clean, while the 'rock' one sounds like a Marshall, which isn't what I want). 

Think that's about it. Not big on humbuckers or Gibsons generally. 

If Eastwood ever did their take on the Johnny Ramone guitar as a lefty, well then.....

I tend to like guitars that aren't woody/flametop types, prefer solid colours, like oddballs but with areal retro sensibility; don't care for pointy metal guitars. Floyd Roses are dealbreakers for me. 

• Like 2