SH73

HSS and SSS wiring

Hi I'm rewiring two guitars. HSS and SSS

I've done tons of research but so many different answers

1. HSS some advise 500k pot for volume and tone (humbucker) and 250k pot for mid and neck tone. Also some advise 0.22 some 0.47 capacitor.

I'm after a 5 way blade switch. 

2. SSS I'm after a classic strat wiring and I'm aware that 250 k pots are needed but again what capacitors do I need?so many options.

Can anyone advise please? @Chiliwailer

Some of the Seymour Duncan diagrams don't give potentiometers value. 

Thank you

There's not a hard and fast rule - it depends what sound you are after - but the 'classic' Fender Strat SSS is 250k pots and .047 caps and the 'classic' Gibson Les Paul HH is 500k pots and .022 caps.  Basically, the  .047cap is trying to tame some of the treble of a single coil strat and the .022 is trying to stop a humbucker sounding too bassy and muddy. 

• Thanks 1

On 18/02/2019 at 13:17, SH73 said:

Hi I'm rewiring two guitars. HSS and SSS

I've done tons of research but so many different answers

1. HSS some advise 500k pot for volume and tone (humbucker) and 250k pot for mid and neck tone. Also some advise 0.22 some 0.47 capacitor.

I'm after a 5 way blade switch. 

2. SSS I'm after a classic strat wiring and I'm aware that 250 k pots are needed but again what capacitors do I need?so many options.

Can anyone advise please? @Chiliwailer

Some of the Seymour Duncan diagrams don't give potentiometers value. 

Thank you

Hey, sorry for the late reply, haven’t logged on in a long time. 

Typically we have 250k for single coil and 500k for h/b. Do it the other way around and the singles become harsh and the h/b becomes muddy, 

Some folks use 500k volume pots on a HSS but then use 500k or 470k  resistors which are wired to kick in when the single coils are selected, this makes them more like 250k pot which is really what you’d want for single coils. See the photo below...

Regarding caps, it’s 100% personal preference IMO, depending on how muddy, middy or clear you want it when you turn the tone down. 

7A1B8D5B-06A2-472B-B9D2-9C699D825189.gif

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

Hey, sorry for the late reply, haven’t logged on in a long time. 

Typically we have 250k for single coil and 500k for h/b. Do it the other way around and the singles become harsh and the h/b becomes muddy, 

Some folks use 500k volume pots on a HSS but then use 500k or 470k  resistors which are wired to kick in when the single coils are selected, this makes them more like 250k pot which is really what you’d want for single coils. See the photo below...

Regarding caps, it’s 100% personal preference IMO, depending on how muddy, middy or clear you want it when you turn the tone down. 

7A1B8D5B-06A2-472B-B9D2-9C699D825189.gif

Thank you. I've looked this up on the website and they have various options for wiring.

Edited by SH73