Airlane1979

Are cheap wireless systems worth buying?

I'm a purely home electric guitarist, not gigging, with a small budget. Because I keep tripping over my lead, I looked at the cheapest wireless systems such as this one on eBay for £17. Has anyone tried these ultra-cheap ones, and if so are they useable - not for gigs or anything professional, merely at home instead of a lead? I'm thinking that they might have a lag, crackle or interfere with neighbours' TVs and so on.

I bought a £60 one, I like the idea, they are very convenient.

However, it couldn’t cope with the output of my active guitar or my active bass so it went back.

I’m using a friends spare line 6 wireless now and it’s great. The two guitarists in my band use line 6 wireless and they’re great.

I love using wireless, very liberating!

This uses the UHF band and looks similar in concept to those FM transmitters you can plug into an iPod and have it play through the car radio.

They suffer terribly from interference, particularly as you drive around and signals come in and out. If you're only using this in the house, you should be able to find a 'spare' slot in the UHF frequency range that's free from other channels. There's a chance that passing taxi drivers could end up listening to you playing (although i doubt the transmitter has enough power for that). 😁

I suspect there'll be quite a lot of compression so the sound won't be brilliant - but that's speculation. You'll only know if you try - and for £17, it's not a big risk.

I have a g60 system which is superb. But that uses the 2.4ghz band and is designed for stage use - with a corresponding price tag.

HTH

On 08/03/2019 at 16:17, tauzero said:

Worth having a look  on Ebay, 

With you there,   I bid on few before ending up with an Audio-Technica  ATW-R09,  860 Mhz,   about sixty quid-ish.  Heaven knows if it was worth it financially,   but I do like it.

155230679953787918773.jpg

• Like 1