Cato

New fangled solid body acoustic hybrid from Fender.

Fender's new 'Acoustasonic'.32-fender-digital.jpg.7459cb5cd6529c5ba33ae033b822604a.jpg

There's quite a gushing article about it here

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/fender-acoustasonic-guitar

Parts of which I suspect have been cut and pasted directly from Fender's own press release.

It seems to be a sort of acoustic focused variant of the Line 6 Variax concept with several acoustic 'voices' and some solid bodied electric ones all available on one instrument with the promise of none of the feedback issues sometimes associated with putting an acoustic through an overdriven rig or pedals.

Personally I like the aesthetics but I'd to have to be really impressed with it before I decided that I really needed to own such a thing.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2

Fascinating...it would be interesting to see its strengths and weaknesses against the competition - especially head to headed with my own latest acquisition mentioned in my Nemesis thread on Basschat. 

To explain, just picked up my Gillett Contour 6 electric in Rocklite that has been doing the shows for the past two or three months.  I'll do a full review thread as soon as I can find the time to fully put it through its paces :)

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting concept. I remember when the Variax first came out and all sorts of gearheads would line up to sneer at it and call it a 'toy'. This looks more conventional. I can see it being very cool for a session player to take for recording if it's got the sounds nailed, tough for live performance, in all honesty I doubt the average audience member really registers anything more than clean or dirty. Still, for the player woh wants a wide range of sounds in one guitar, I can see it having its uses. 

I've not seen one in the flesh, but from the pictures and video demos the bridge doesn't look like it's adjustable.317136-1548076553510.thumb.jpeg.ef8439b53dbfbbb2601c1e54633243c1.jpeg

Although I can't say for certain one way or the other.

Edited by Cato

It's 'interesting' - seems it should satisfy the Venn grouping of people who say 'Fender are dull and never release anything actually NEW,' and those who say 'Urgh, the Dimension Bass? What were Fender thinking? Go back to what you know.'