hiram.k.hackenbacker

EVH Frankenstein Frankenstrat Replica

I turned up to rehearsal on Monday and found that our guitarist had decided to celebrate Christmas early this year and had treated himself to an EVH Frankenstein Frankenstrat Replica. Not the £700 one mind, but the $25,000 Fender-Charvel variety!

I have to say it's an absolute beast of a guitar and the attention to detail is phenomenal. it comes with loads of candy, a reliced flight case and just has that sound in spades.

As an aside, if anyone is familiar with what I believe to be an original type Floyd Rose term and the specific tool you might need to tighten the trim arm, then your advice would be much appreciated by it's owner.

We've both had a look at it and are undecided as to whether it's even possible.

We decided it might be a nice idea to have a side by side shot of the 'monster' next to my pristine Ritter Cora.

fullsizeoutput_1ab8.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ezbass said:

$25,000 😱

I think the whammy bar is just screwed in and flops around, willy nilly. An application of PTFE tape is a common cure, or one can go down the Fender route and drop a small spring into the arm hole. 

It looks as though it should be able to be adjusted. Hard to describe, but there is a definite notch in the ferrule on the link of the trem arm inside the cavity. It looks like a specific tool should fit it, but I can't think what.

I'll try and get a photo of it next time I see it.

Goodness me that is a lot of cash to drop on a plank that looks like it's been rescued from a dumpster...even with the manufactured provenance. 

And I winced when I saw Fender selling Nile Rodgers Hitmakers for close to five grand on Reverb.  My hitmaker replica is almost identical, sounds the same and cost 80% less.

It seems this is a case of the laws of market forces applying....

That said, it's also easy to miss the sheer level of skilled work in creating a convincing relic of any sort, let along replicating a specific insturment right down to the wear...

There's two  sig models I'd love to have - the MIM Fender Joe Strummer Tele and the Mosrite Johnny Ramones models (all variants). Alas, never see nay of them left handed. I'm in the process of putting together a plan to build my own Hendrix 68 Black beauty to as reasonably accurate a Fender match as possible.At present it looks doable for around £500, but 55% of the budget will be on the neck as it sits as I don't want to compromise on a 70s-style bullet truss, and it's surprisingly difficult to fidn anywhere that does a 68 spec Strat neck.